Old October 14th 06, 10:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Default Cameras with short shutter lag time?

Bert Hyman wrote:

_trim (bugbear) wrote in
:

I *think* most of the lag is focus, so if you lock
the manual focus at infinity it should be quick;
I'd use aperture priority mode.

The manual settings are for -me to use, but this camera is also
intended to be used as a general-purpose recreational camera by me
and my wife, so a camera that works well in normal "auto-everything"
mode is what we're really looking for.

So, I'll expand the question to ask which non-SLR digital cameras
have short(er/est) shutter lag time when operating in auto-focus,
auto-exposure modes?

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

Hello, Bert:

The Imaging Resource http://www.imaging-resource.com has a review of
the Kodak P712:

The Imaging Resource - Kodak EasyShare P712 Overview
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/P712/P712A.HTM

Here's some relevant, quoted material, from the above Web page:

"In promotional literature, Kodak brags about the camera's speed
capabilities, claiming the P712 has 'best-in-class, click to capture
rate.' Though we don't normally do those sorts of one-to-one category
comparisons, the camera did present very little shutter lag,
particularly at wide-angle to normal focal lengths. Without
prefocusing, the Kodak P712 took 0.14 seconds to capture an image
when the zoom lens was at the wide-angle position. At the full
telephoto position, it was 0.71 seconds to capture, still faster
than many long-zoom models.

"Though these numbers were good, when the camera was prefocused, it
was a veritable rocket. We clocked it capturing a shot in a blazing
fast 0.086 seconds when half-pressing and holding the shutter button
before the shot itself. Very impressive."

Cordially,
John Turco