Old June 15th 04, 01:18 PM
Collin Brendemuehl

Progress is being made.
I'm fixing up an old Korona 8x10.
It'll be a bit lighter than the 2-D and a little prettier.

One reason I stopped 8x10 earlier but am now willing to restart was
the issue of enlarging. 8x10 enlargers are either very expensive or
very large. (Midwest Photo has one of each, a very nice Beseler
that's reasonably compact and a 6 ft+ condenser unit.) But @ the
Dayton Hamvention I picked up a Kaiser copy stand that will be perfect
for mounting the 8x10 body onto, allowing me to do reasonable
enlargements with relative ease.

For an enlarging lens I purchased one of those barrels for sale by
Dagor77 on eBay. They look very practical for enlarging b&w. He
sells some pretty old stuff and some nice, reasonably modern stuff as
well. Some even goes cheap, which is always nice.

For a taking lens I'm looking at one of the APO Nikkor units that will
be either (a) mounted in a #3 shutter or (b) used as a barrel lens.
At least it has a diaphram.

And since Midwest has the desired film ... this should be a fun Fall.
It'll take me that long to finish putting everything together. The
hard part will be finding a working copal/compur #3 shutter for the
APO Nikkor.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach to getting started? (Other
people's insights are always appreciated.) Anyone here use those APO
Nikkors for shooting?

Collin