Old August 1st 09, 08:09 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Default [SI] New Mandate: Interesting (see description)

GavinS wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 08:13:19 -0400, "Bowser" wrote:

"Interesting." Shoot a picture of something that the viewer of the pic, not
necessarily you, find interesting.

Excuse me, but that's the whole point of all photography. Was I supposed to
be taking photographs of things that only I'm interested in all my life?
How silly of me. If I can't capture an image that others will find
interesting then what's the point? I find this theme of yours rather
strange I guess. Even stranger is any "photographer" who would think that
it is supposed to be some kind of unique category or challenge.

Some photos might be just peaceful & pretty. More soothing than
stimulating. Much popular art appeals through soothing familiarity and
avoids anything that prompts curiosity or uniqueness. Or it could be a
physically stimulating image that's pretty & sparkly but offers no
intellectual stimulation whatsoever, hence uninteresting. Like most
sunset shots. NTTAWWT

If you aren't interested in arsty fartsyness, another option is
something technically interesting, like Bowser's example of the old
airplane with a V8 engine. Not to say Bowser isn't artsy fartsy g just
that example.

Official transcripts from the Shoot-In advisory board team committee
group panel discussion meeting show that there was also the suggestion
that folks could submit a pic of a subject showing concerted interest in
something like wildlife stalking prey or a person studying something
with a raised and furrowed brow. Try a portrait where the face shows
curiosity, that's a pretty novel idea. Some faces are just boring
beautiful, some faces are fascinating and complex.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net