Old August 1st 09, 08:00 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

Default [SI] New Mandate: Interesting (see description)

On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 13:39:19 -0500, GavinS
wrote:

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 08:13:19 -0400, "Bowser" wrote:

"Interesting." Shoot a picture of something that the viewer of the pic, not
necessarily you, find interesting.

Excuse me, but that's the whole point of all photography. Was I supposed to
be taking photographs of things that only I'm interested in all my life?
How silly of me. If I can't capture an image that others will find
interesting then what's the point? I find this theme of yours rather
strange I guess. Even stranger is any "photographer" who would think that
it is supposed to be some kind of unique category or challenge.

It is, indeed, a lame excuse for a mandate. It's essentially an
"open" competition because any shot of anything is "interesting" in
some aspect. Why it was suggested is beyond me, and why it was
accepted blows my mind.

The idea of a mandate is to get the photographer to stretch a bit in
finding subject matter or composing the image and show some
imagination. This mandate doesn't require anything like that...just
pick a good photo from the library or the current month's shots and
call it "interesting". Yechh.

Still, I'll probably enter something because I support the concept of
the Shoot-In even if I feel let down by the people who suggested and
accepted this mandate.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida