Old June 26th 04, 03:29 PM
Giorgio Preddio

Default General Lens ZOOM question....

"Tony Spadaro" wrote in message .com...

In general there is a 10% fudge factor on lenses. (ie anything between
270 and 330 would be a 300, but believe me now one ever called a 325mm lens
300. It could be that for these "super" zooms, a lot of the range has more
to do with advertising than fact. I would say that if you need a 1.4 TC to
get 300mms out of it, it's a good lens to send back.

Surely 300mm is 300mm no matter what make of lens..... ?

You will find that the Sigma lenses are the most accurate in terms of
focal length accuracy. I conducted some very thorough testing in this
area last year. My photography students learned quite a bit from the
study. Unfortunately, my sponsors prevented me from publishing the
results due to corporate politics.