Old November 17th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Default DSLR vs P&S a replay of Film vs Digital?

RealityBytes wrote:

No, you're just slow all around. Those shutter speeds hand-held are quite doable
with today's IS cameras. I too tested this. With the right stance it's quite
easy.

Hey, *I* manage an 8s 35mm exposure "handheld" -- with a
non-IS camera.
"the right stance" being
- leaning hard against the wall with my whole back
- feet well spread
- using continous shooting to avoid shutter jerking
- pressing the camera hard into my belly (it's one of those
twist-the-monitor models, so I can frame looking top down on it),
- holding my breath for half a minute while shooting

Sure, that works, even without IS --- and it's quite easy.

But it's not what is called handheld. If I can't do it standing
in the middle of an empty plaza, it certainly ain't handheld.

-Wolfgang