Old April 28th 12, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tim Conway[_2_]

Default D3200; time to lose the AA filters?

"RichA" wrote in message
On Apr 28, 1:38 am, "David J Taylor" david-
wrote:
"Rich" wrote in message

If you look at the D3200, the Sony NEX-7, the D800, you'll see that the
images from them at low ISO are soft. But, the D800E doesn't look soft,
at
least based on another comparison I saw.
Compare the D7000 to the D3200. Look at the paperclips in the scene at
200
ISO. Notice how soft the D3200 and the Sony NEX-7 images are? Notice
how
sharp the D7000 image is by comparison? Same with the Olympus OM-D, it
is
sharp. Resolution is better on the 24mp cameras, but the images are not
sharp-looking.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond3200/6

I meant to add - for a fair comparison, should you not be looking at the
images where the objects taken are are the same size, rather than at the
different sizes shown in those comparisons? Oh, and taken with the same
lens? I do see what you mean between the D3200 and NEX-7, though.

David

Answering your other question, we don't know if the D3200 has an AA
filter, but I presume it does, since not having one would apparently
raise the cost (if the D800E is any guide, or maybe that's only
because they are making few of them?) something you probably don't
want to do with an entry-level camera. Ideally, you would want to use
the same lens, but the images from the 16mp and 24mp cameras were both
close enough so you can see (you have to look at a few areas in that
scene, try the money) that the 24mp does have a resolution edge, but
the images do not look sharp. As it is, the D800E is now the
undisputed resolution benchmark in DSLRs and mirrorless cameras up to
FF.
I would like to add also the D3200 is noisy compared to the D7000
(check out the blue-green swatch or especially the reds of the Martini
bottle at 800ISO or so, but cleaner than the NEX-7 in blue, and worse
in red. The D3200 reds are very washed out, to the point of being
orang. This holds true for RAW and Jpegs.

Then again, since I'm getting much older and frailer, I might just say the
hell with it all and get a Panasonic Lumix FZ150 and be done with it all as
opposed to lugging around all the lenses and tripods etc....the price you
pay...