Old January 29th 19, 12:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Fuji raw processing

newshound wrote:
On 28/01/2019 19:09, Savageduck wrote:
newshound wrote:
On 28/01/2019 17:02, newshound wrote:
When I bought the X-E1 a few years back I also had a new Macbook, and I
bought Affinity Photo for it. I had a play at raw processing but for
what I was doing, the JPEGs out of the camera were fine, all I seemed to
need was cropping, straightening, maybe a touch of fill light, and
Picasa does all that easily. (I use Picasa for managing my photo files
anyway).

Step forward a few years, I have some X-T3 raw images that need
tweaking, but Affinity won't open them. Evidently the T3 format is "too
new". A bit disappointing.

Never mind, download X Raw Studio and see what it will do. I have my
files for processing on a NAS drive so that I can easily access them
from PC or Mac. But no, X Raw Studio has no "Network" option in the file
manager, I can only open the physical drives on the PC.

And it turns out I can't even do basic tweaking on the PC without
copying the file back to the camera, because this software uses the
camera hardware. Thank goodness Picassa still works on the JPEGs.

Too many software developers seem not to live in the real world.

I don't really want to do much PP, maybe just a bit on the occasional
(and rare) really good shot. Can't justify PS or LR costs or learning
curve. At least Affinity was relatively cheap.

/rant

The idea of X RAW Studio is to give you the ability to process RAF files
you have saved to your computer, using the in-camera CPU .

https://fujifilm-x.com/global/stories/fujifilm-x-raw-studio-features-users-guide/

I realise that *now*, but the interface when you open it not tethered
*looks* as though you have at least some basic features. Only you don't.

My other suggestion is download the free Capture One 12 Pro for Fujifilm.
It does a pretty good job.

Only 30 day free trial, then similar price to the big boys by the look
of it.

I realise that there is an overhead to decoding a raw file especially if
it is tweaked to add features in a new version, but given that Fuji are
not making money from software I'd expect the encoding to be
straightforward, and presumably they provide the spec to Adobe, etc. I
guess I will just have to wait for Affinity to catch up.

It seems to be a lot of fiddling around to use x-raw-studio. My normal
"flow" would be to download all files, to review JPEGs and select a few
for tweaking and put them in a special temporary folder. I suppose I'm
just going to have to wipe the card after downloading and make that my
"special" folder.

Here you go. Capture One Express Fujifilm is free. Just scroll down the
page.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Capture-One/Capture-One-Fujifilm.aspx

Savageduck