Old June 7th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Please, why is sky washed out?

Scott W wrote:
Celcius wrote:
Hi everyone!

Why is the sky washed out while my wife with a point and shoot gets blue
skys?
It seems to me the sky was quite blue when I took this photo:
http://celestart.com/images/publiques/15.jpg

Any ideas? Recommendations?

Thanks,

Marcel

As others have said the sky is over exposed

learn to always shoot raw, you will be much happier, I would be very
surprised is the raw file of the exact shoot could not pull out a nice
looking blue sky.

In cases of a bright background, and many other hard lighting cases,
you can bracket to good effect.

Since the XT can take a jpeg file at the same time it does a raw you
can easily do some test taking the same type of shot and checking to
see how much better the image from the raw file can be compared to the
jpeg the camera produces.

But that's well after the fact. There's but one review on the camera,
and I suggest concentrating on the histogram. Also, the blinking sky in
the review would be a big hint.

Bracketing in RAW gives incredible latitude. Even a single RAW image can
be developed in, say, two different ways, one for the house, and one for
the sky. Then you can layer the two, mask one, and paint on the mask to
reveal the bottom layer.

--
John McWilliams