Old September 18th 12, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

Default New Sigma 50-150 telephoto

On 2012-09-17 15:38:02 -0700, PeterN said:

On 9/17/2012 2:02 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
Robert Coe writes:
snip

One of the things DX taught me is that the 200mm limit on good lenses
that weren't both huge and expensive was more technological than user
preference.

My 80-400 Nikon is sharp and clear. The only issue sis very slow focus.

You can say that again!
...and low light performance is abysmal.

If you have good light and little need for fast focus it is great.

I use the Sigma 120-400 to shoot roller derby in indoor arenas. Luckily
the main one I shoot in is pretty well lit -- I was shooting 1/350 f/5.6
ISO 6400. Shooting from track level (the whole arena is flat, no way to
get higher than standing), players get in front of each other a lot, so
the AF gets a real workout, losing and reacquiring the target
constantly. This Sigma is an unltrasonic, though, so it focuses quite
fast. (Was about half the price of the Nikon, and generally got better
reviews at the time I bought it. It's done very well for me at the
price point. Obviously it has a smaller zoom range.)

I've been invited to do a roller derby shoot. I had planned to use my
70-200 with a 1.7 extender. Any tips?

--
Peter