Old August 29th 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
savvo

Default conversion of film slr to dig slr

On 2008-08-29, Noons wrote:
savvo wrote,on my timestamp of 29/08/2008 8:37 PM:

How long before that exposed
sensor is covered in dust.

If you keep the cover closed, a long time.
The sensor would not be exposed anymore than
in a dslr. Except of course if you open the back.
Which you don't need to anymo there is no film there.

You've missed the point. How do you access the pictures that you have
shot if you never open the camera? Try reading the thread to find out
what it's about.

Ever had a bit of grit in the back of your
camera that's scratched your negs? What's that going to do a sensitive
bit of silicon?

Since when is silicon "soft"? It's what makes up sand!
What is soft is the anti-alias plastic filter in front of it.
That can be replaced and/or cleaned easy if the back cover
can be opened. It does NOT move when you wind, so it
doesn't get scratched like film does! In fact, there is
NOTHING inside such a camera that can scratch it.

I didn't say it would scratch it. I asked pluto to consider what it
_might_ do.

You don't want to run the sensor all the time because you've had to
cram the smallest possible batteries in, plus you don't want to
overheat it, so how do you sync it to the shutter?

batteries in all my slrs are in the handle and they
are big rechargeable AAs which last forever. Longer than
my dslr's punny little lithium stuff anyway...

You've missed the point. Go back and read the thread.

As for synching it to the shutter, that can be easily achieved
with any slr that has a flash contact: shutter won't open
until flash contact is closed. Plenty of time to "turn on"
the sensor: like you say it doesn't need "warming".

How do you get the flash sync through the closed back of the camera to
the 'digital film'?

my question was what am i going to do if silver halides are going to the
sunsets?

they won't. just look for it instead of
believing the crap. heaps of alternatives.
you can even still find new film for super8
movie cameras and they went out ages ago!
not to mention 620 and other "weird" formats
long gone from production.

The D200 works with way more lenses than the D50 will. I've not been
with Nikon long enough to know what an AE lens is, but I did used to
use an AI lens on my D200.

Exactly. The D200, D300, D700, D2(x) and D3 can all use AI
and AI-S lenses, as well as all the AF models. That's
with metering. Without it even my D80 works fine with
anything since AI. That's since the 60's.

If Sony, one of the two major sensor manufacturers and a market-leader
in pro and consumer video equipment can't get its DSLR market share
out of the single figure %ages, despite a head start from buying
Minolta's expertise and plant, I'm very sure Nokia will be very happy
to stay out of the bear pit.

indeed. but Sony is inching in, that's for sure. and it takes
time to build up momentum: once they sort out their range
into a coherent lot, things will move fine. It's only this
year they have had more than one model, while the others
have been at it for nearly a decade!

So what's your point about Nokia's willingness or ability to compete?

--
savvo orig. invib. man