Old January 21st 07, 03:13 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Gary Eickmeier

Default My latest musings about photography

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
Hi All,

I've posted a new column article, called "Why Do Some Fear Photoshop and
Others Think Digital Photography is Something Special?" to my site at:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/dimw.php

Some decent thoughts.

I agree that the attitude toward digital as either being capable of more
manipulation or needing more manipulation is misguided. We are used to
the days when we sent our film to the lab and got back nice, color and
exposure corrected prints. This made us think that film was superior in
its ability to capture images accurately. What we fail to realize is
that the lab manipulated the images as much or more than we do on our
computers with digital. In fact, digital has a better chance of getting
it right in the first place, because we can inspect the results
in-camera by means of histograms and white balancing. Both media can be
manipulated, and both sometimes need it to improve the results. You just
learn the differences in your workflow and go with the one that gives
you the better results or has greater convenience.

This gives the nod to digital, for the same reasons that computer word
processing beats out the typewriter. We have greater flexibility in
digital, but that does not mean that the film photography did not
require the same manipulations - just that they were more difficult in
those days.

Gary Eickmeier