Old May 26th 04, 05:54 AM
David J. Littleboy

Default metering a best "guess"? ;-) Rule of f16

"Bob Monaghan" wrote in message

plus your guesses should keep getting better ;-) I noted that full
daylight in Texas is a bit brighter than in Connecticut when I moved here.
Connecticut in the summer is less bright than the "paper film meter" in
the boxes would have you believe (cf. f/11 vs. f/16 per some posters
here?)

I was also off in some of my guesses until I learned to look closely at
the sky and see if there was any noticeable haze. If so, drop 1/2 stop.
Let's hope the haze is also blocking half the UV too ;-)

Meanwhile, all your wrong guess frames were exposed incorrectly. That's a
lot of effort wasted.

Besides, slide film has minimal latitude, so guessing really doesn't work if
you care how your subjects are rendered.

If you test your film by bracketing against a few common subjects, you can
learn how rendition changes with exposure. At which point a spot meter gives
extremely fine control over rendition. (Presumably similar games are
possible with incident meters, although I don't know how to do that.) Far
better than guessing.

And we haven't even begun to get into "memory" effects with CdS meters vs
instant reading SBC cells etc. ;-) What do you do when the meter is
changing its reading of the exact same scene in steady bright daylight?

If you insist on either using bad tools or not learning how to use your
tools correctly, that's not the tools' fault.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan