Old September 18th 04, 10:52 PM
Alan Browne

Quercus wrote:

Hi there, I was wondering how do people "usually" set those parameters
in their cameras to get the desired exposure.

Since a particular composition includes depth-of-field as a
compositional element, it is usually natural to select aperture
first. From there, the film ISO and the metering dictate the
shutter speed. (metering technique and desired exposure
placement will vary the results a little too). If a tripod is
not used, then the shutter speed may take precedence.

In some cases, shutter speed is more important (to freeze or
purposely blur a moving object, for example).

I mean, with the camera in full manual mode, do you first choose the
f-stop (looking for depth of field) and then you adjust shutter time
until the exposure will be correct or you do it in reverse order, first
shutter and then aperture to meet correct lighting?

See above. Whether in manual or A (or S) priority the outcome
dictates whether the image is to be controlled by one or the other.

I guess that depends of what is the subject, if it has fast motion
you'll probably set first a lower shutter time, and then check for
f-stop... And so on...

Yep

But my question is about "normal" pictures, those without fast motion or
low depth of field required (portraits)...

Usually aperture choice dominates ... it goes to composition
(whether shallow or great DOF is desired).

Which method works best? Shutter-Aperture or Aperture-Shutter? Any
other? Is that just a matter of personal preference?

They work equally well, they are in fact no different wrt to
exposure. They are different with respect to desired outcome.

I own a point and shoot digicam, with shutter and aperture priority
programs, so I don't have all the control over those variables that I
would like to, but I wanna get the best from it while I win the lotto
and get a DSLR ;-)

Most who use the semi auto exposure modes tend to use aperture
priority except where subject movement control or camera shake
dictate a higher speed.

Note, with a DSLR, you can also vary the ISO. So if you need
greater DOF as well as a relatively high shutter speed, then a
higher ISO can be selected (at the expense of noise).

Cheers,
Alan