Old October 24th 12, 05:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Michael[_6_]

Default Rokinon Fisheye 8mm for Nikon DSLR etc

On 2012-10-23 21:22:16 +0000, Rob said:

On 24/10/2012 5:55 AM, Michael wrote:
I am looking into the Rokinon f/3.5 8mm fisheye for my D5000. The B&H
reviews look good and it is much less expensive than Nikon's 10mm f/2.8.
B&H sells it for $299 without the focus confirm chip and $329 with the
focus confirm chip.

Does anyone have any experience with this lens?

When you use one of these lenses you don't need and focus confirmation.

It will pull just about everything into focus.

Some of the reviews imply (and I don't know wny) that the autoexposure
works better with the chip involved. I cannot understand why that should
be, though.

I suspect it's a typo / error in description.
Focus confirmation in Nikon bodies doesn't require a chip in the lens.
For AE to function on some Nikon bodies (below D7000 in present
lineup?), a chip is required to communicate the maximum aperture of the
lens to the body. Higher end bodies have a rotating ring with a lug,
coupling the aperture ring on the lens to the body.
Without the chip, metering won't work on a D5000.

Thank you. That answers the question regarding which version of the
lens I need. I still would appreciate a hands on review of it, if
anyone has it. Interesting about the rotating ring and lug. That sounds
a lot like what Nikon used 45 years ago with the Nikon F to set the
maximum aperture on the Photomic FTN metering heads. All the old NIkkor
lenses (I have them for my vintage F which has only the nonmetering
prism) have those lugs, which serve no purpose on the fully manual
version of the F. Also, the 5000 is one of the few Nikon DSLRs that can
accept unmodified non-AI F-mount lenses from the old Nikon F days. It
requires full manual exposure mode, of course. But the lenses do mount
and do focus and do take good pictures.
--
Michael