Old October 1st 04, 02:04 PM
Charlie Self

Drifter states:

Okay, this one is driving me nutz so I'm going to blow off a little
steam and be done with it.

Repeatedly I have been seeing/hearing the phrase "back when digital
photography was new", sometimes with a wry intent, but more often with
complete seriousness that carries a sort of blasé "been there/done
that" attitude (possibly a symptom of a sort of time-compressed,
multitasking, revved-up, "Moore's Law" mentality that many of us live
with today).

I have to admit that I find it triggers equal measures of irritation
and humor.

No more so than the 20 somethings on TV ads who claim some grease mixture has
kept their skin "young." Or the people I listen to sometimes, just turned
27-28-29 or so, talk about "when I was young." Or some TV ad woman talking
about how she stays slender--at 25!

It's either societal or a part of the human condition. We all want to be more
experienced, thus older, than we are, until the joints actually start creaking,
eyesight begins to fail, and we have to get up 3-4 times a night. Then we'd
rather be 30, but without a loss of knowledge.
Charlie Self
"Politics, n. Strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles."
Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary