Old June 28th 04, 04:22 AM
Ted Azito

Default Not Loving R Leica-TP Sharpens Claws, to No Avail

TP wrote in message . ..
(Ted Azito) wrote:

I could afford to buy them, just not as many

Thank you for proving my point.

I don't have as many Nikkors as I could afford. I have M Leicas,and M
Leica optics, I use them more than anything else in fact, and if I had
to buy new glass all over again I'd look at the Voightlander lenses
very carefully before buying Leica. Undoubtedly the Leica _mounts_ are
probably a little better made.

(FWIW I have a SM Fed 5 I bought new for under $100. It's awkward and
a little clunky but I've shot some nice images with it. I bought a
SM-to-M adapter and used its standard 50mm lens on M's. The Leitz
glass is a little sharper and more contrasty, as are Nikkors on F's,
but you have to go to big print sizes to notice much and the Russian
optic-which is uncoated-is still very respectable. And what is the
lens alone worth, $30?)

But it's not for their optical prowess. It's availability. If Nikon
made a best-effort M Leica mount Nikkor-or one of several other
optical houses-I would probably buy one for spite. (There, are you
happy?)