Old June 27th 04, 10:10 PM
Ted Azito

Default New Leica digital back info....

TP snip
All this hostility towards Leica products, all because you cannot
afford to buy them.

How does the logic go?

If you cannot afford them, they cannot be any good?

I could afford to buy them, just not as many: I could swap my 200mm
Medical Nikkor even up for any of several R Leica lenses. Because of
the cam issues, which is even nuttier than the AI Nikkor situation, R
Leica lenses used can be very reasonable. Although you might make a
case for one or two of the pieces on a piece basis, in general,
Nikkors-pro Nikkors-are technically better optics than Leitz glass.
Leitz and Zeiss, as another poster succinctly summarized, use a few
different tradeoffs for subjectively more pleasing results in some
people's opinion. It's not mine. If Leica wanted to "cut heads" they'd
offer their lenses in other mounts, they don't. They're selling
mystique and bull**** to a great extent.

Panavision can very definitely afford German lenses. That they choose
(usually) otherwise speaks volumes.