Old July 11th 09, 09:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Default Sony develops back-illuminated CMOS sensor, with twofold sensitivity and low noise

wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 09:04:28 -0500, Don Stauffer
wrote:

Alfred Molon wrote:
Seems to be old news, but I can't remember having seen this posted he

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Pr...69E/index.html

"The newly developed CMOS image sensor achieves a signal-to-noise ratio
of +8dB(+6dB sensitivity, -2dB noise) in comparison to existing Sony
CMOS image sensors of the same pixel size. Sony will apply this back-
illuminated CMOS technology in consumer digital video camcorders and
digital still cameras to deliver an even higher quality image
experience."

Pixel pitch 1.75 ?, 5MP

In any case, this technology has no reached the consumer sector.

Something seems not quite right. 8db is not a great SNR in my book.

It doesn't say that. It says "in comparison"

It says +8db, not 8, and what is more specifies that the +8 is made up
of +6 sensitivity and -2 noise. None of that makes any sense at all
except in terms of comparative differences. Numerical db differentials
are usually how engineers make these comparisons.

--
Chris Malcolm