Old February 16th 04, 12:09 AM
Reciprocity Failure

Default 150mm G-Claron the WRONG lens for Over 25" Paintings?

"Dr. Slick" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I got a hold of a brochure for the G-Claron:

"The normally used range of linear magnification is between
5:1 and 1:5. ...the G-Claron may also be used for distances up to
infinity by stopping down to f/22 or less."

Ok, so if i understand this correctly, the reduction is 1:5, so if
you take the largest side of 4x5, this would be a maximum of 5x5=25"
on the largest side of the painting.
So i was taking about 35" images @f16, so perhaps this was out of
the range of the lens? Or perhaps i really needed f22, even at this
size, and not just for infinity?

One fellow at KS said that the G-Claron is mainly for really up
close marco work, like product pics of wallets and purses and stuff
like that. And that some people use it for landscape work when
stopped down more than f/22, because it's a very light shutter and
lens.

Then he recommended a 150mm Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-N, and didn;t
charge me for the rental because the pics i took with the G-Claron
didn't turn out (nice, eh?).

Said this would be good for 8.5"x11" up to 3'x4', as well as
infinity.

The brochure says the optimum aperture for 4x5 is f16-22.

I'll try f16, f22, and f32 tonight!

Slick