Old October 9th 03, 08:43 AM
zeitgeist

Default got rid of shadows on portraits, but now subject too dark - help?

Hi, I have been taking portraits of subjects against a white
background. In an attempt to get rid of shadows, I have started
lighting the background with 2 tungsten 500 watt lights and then using
fill flash on the subject. This has worked beautifully, except that
occasionally my subject ends up a little dark and not contrast-y
enough. I've been fixing this in photoshop, but wondered if I used
lesser lights on the background (say 250 watt?) I might get the
subject a bit brighter all the time? I am shooting digital and
converting to black and white, so I don't mind about the tungsten
cast. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks! Lynn

first, mixing lighting can often bring some annoying complications, tungsten
on the background can give it a pleasing warm tone especially if the
subjects are nicely exposed, wedding photogs will light the subjects but let
the very warm room lights supply the background. depending on how the
images are printed, and this can include digital workflows, your camera's
auto balance may 'see' more warm light or cool fill flash from one shot to
the next.

how are you exposing? with the camera's auto expo, or selecting an exposure
and using that for the session? If using the auto expo then the most
obvious problem is likely to be that the sensor is 'seeing' various amounts
of white versus subject color. and/or your fill flash is not putting out
the same amount of power, either cause you are shooting too fast for it
recharge, or its exposure sensor is also seeing various amounts of white and
varying its output.

if you are shooting film then the lab's printer exposure meter could be
seeing various amounts of white and compensating, these are often the
weakest link, especially consumer labs where they just stick the film in and
walk away.

white background sets are difficult. the typical and very popular hi key
set, you would have the subject and any props in white, (and right there,
very few clients follow through, especially a family group, on the all white
thing.) then the only color is the subject's face and hands. its a way
cool effect, requires that you light the background very evenly, some pro's
will use four umbrellas crossing the background two high and two low with
two on each side, I used two but bounced them off the sidewalls and ceiling.

as for varying the exposure with your flood lights, you can move them
further from the background, you can get a dimmer switch (which would give
you more control, or you can buy smaller bulbs, I assume a 250 bulb would be
one stop less.)