Old May 15th 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default A novice looking for tips, hints, suggestions and critique.

Derek Fountain wrote:
wrote:

I've recently found myself attracted to photography has a hobby. I
started taking photos, and after I took around a thousand or so shots,
I went through them all and picked which I thought were the nicest.

You can see them he
http://www.dragotaur.com/photography/

So, if you can make any suggestions, please do, I would appreciate it.

My first and only tip so far: get rid of the flash based photo album.
I'm not sure if it works with Firefox or not - I don't think it does,
but it's so damn slow I couldn't be bothered to wait for it to finish
sorting itself out.

If you want your photographs to do the talking, let them. If you want to
demonstrate your ability to choose a really crap way of displaying
them, well, we're not interested.

I am using Firefox and I could see and load the images fin.

- NO PROBLEM -

The responder above may have some "obstructions" running on his system
that interfere with the display - spyware, etc.

============
Here are my thoughts (from a long time amateur) Hope they help.

I like many of the images, without discussing technical issues, but I do
find them cold and unemotional. They don't "talk to me". They don't
engage the viewer. As snapshots or tourist photos they are fine. The
one that came closest to piquing my interest was the street scene with
the street light and a small part of someone's shoulder in the right
foreground. If that shoulder had been a bit bigger - we wonder "who is
this person" "what are they doing" "where are they going" - The
converging lines of direction also "pull us in" and we see two people
walking toward us.

A few other things - in the photo of the bridge. There is a high
contrast reflection in the water that pulls the viewer's eye to that
spot, so that competes with the main point of interest that should be
the bridge disappearing into the distance. Also, no photos taken out of
airplane or car windows should be shown to other people (just my pet peeve)

BTW - I like your cartooning.

--
Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
California Photos http://tinyurl.com/ann2l