Old August 14th 07, 08:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Ron Hunter

Default Which of these features would you give up in a travel camera

AlexZ wrote:
Dave Cohen wrote:
: RPS wrote:
: Ron Hunter wrote:
:
: : 1. Manageable size. Not necessarily light, but should fit a big pocket.
: : 2. At least 28mm at the wide end.
: : 3. Approx 200+ mm at the tele end. (No tripod.)
: : 4. IS
: : 5. Possibility of either aperture or shutter priority.
: : 6. Optical View Finder.
: :
: : OK, no such thing at present. Therefore which are one or two of the
: : most dispensable features in your experience and opinion?
:
: : Numbers 4 and 5, and probably 2. Good optical zoom is pretty important
: : for travel pictures, and taking pictures in bright sun with most LCD
: : displays is pretty difficult.
:
: Thanks. The camera meeting these criteria is Canon G7 (lacks #s 2,5).
:
: If my #5 you mean shooting mode, you'd better re-read the spec sheet.

Right. The G7 only lacks #2 (28mm), and maybe #1 (although it is
classified as "compact"), but does have manual controls.

Nice specs, and looks little, if any, larger than my current P&S, which
is about as large as I am going to carry when traveling.