Old January 6th 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Protect your pictures!

Tony Cooper wrote:

The really neat situation is where someone links to your image.
You can change the source of the link to an image that
they...ummm....wouldn't want to put up.

Yeah, I'm thinking about doing something like that right now. One of my
images (a Puerto Rican flag sculpture in Chicago) is hot-linked a LOT
by various people, usually just kids using it as a backdrop to their
own personal (non-commercial) web sites.

This used to annoy me, but I've pretty much gotten over it.

However, a commercial outfit is hot-linking another image from my site,
and using it as a product photo for something they sell (a particular
species of fish). That one irritates me. A lot.

I'm considering sending them a bill for unauthorized use of copyrighted
image, as well as for the bandwidth. Obviously, I don't have any real
expectation of getting paid, but it would at least express my
annoyance. Alternately, I could just change the source image to
something less, um, saleable.

I wouldn't even need to pornographic... A few years ago I dropped a
heavy battery on my foot and had my big toenail ripped out at the root,
as well as a deep gouge across the nail bed. Once I regained
consciousness (hey, it HURT!), I took a couple of photos of the very
colorful area of impact. Ya reckon a big bloody toe picture would help
sell fish?