Old December 5th 12, 04:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

Default Sony tells DSLR shooters they're idiots

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message
One major advantage of RAW, in addition to the previously mentioned
ones,
is that you can easily edit the RAW image, non-destructively.

You can edit anything non-destructively. Keep trying.

except that jpeg is already destructive.

you can edit non-destructively from that point on, but you can't undo
what was done to make the jpeg.

Interesting you said that - I stumbled upon a function of Elements that
sorta converted any JPG into a RAW file and allowed you to edit it the
same as any RAW image. Do you know what I mean?

Sure you can convert an 8 bit Jpeg into a 16 or 32bit file in PS if you
want. Of course the data lost when saving from a 12-14 bit sensor into an 8
bit Jpeg is ***NOT*** recovered!
Editing and saving as a 16 bit PSD or TIF at least means you don't lose
progressively more at each edit/save, but is no substitute for starting with
a decent file in the first place!

Trevor.