Old May 29th 10, 11:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Default iPad, G2, ALL touch screens are disgusting, filthy products

In rec.photo.digital David J. Littleboy wrote:

"SMS" wrote:
On 27/05/10 10:05 PM, RichA wrote:
And yet they look so pristine in the commercials...
Like on Star Trek, all the touch-screen computer and ship control..
They probably went through more Windex than anti-matter.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...WhatsNewsThird

I think it's strange that styluses seem to be taboo. They worked well on
the Palm and Windows Mobile PDAs, and on the tables running the Microsoft
Tablet OS. They allowed you to draw, sign things, and kept the screen
clean.

My take is that groping for a stylus is enough of a pain (and the tiny
screens so ugly) that those things were usable only by the perversely
motivated: the "I'm more high-tech than you" crowd hell-bent on proving
they've got the right idea. But watching my friends use their
iPods/iPhones/whatever, it's clear that they represent an multiple order of
magnitude improvement in usability over anything previous. Flipping amazing.
(And this is from a dyed-in-the-wool Mac hater who bought a Kindle before
the iPad came out just to spite Apple (the Kindle UI is horrible; getting to
a reference number to click it is almost impossible; it's a major disaster,
but I love the thing since I can buy gobs of books and not have to throw any
away).)

So get over it and wash your hands more often: touch screens are worlds
better than anything else.

Maybe safe-solvent soaked screen-wipes will become a big businessg.

I don't understand why anyone should have a problem with touchscreen
hygiene who doesn't have to disinfect money before touching it.

--
Chris Malcolm
Warning: none of the above is indisputable fact.