Old March 30th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Useful 10% solutions

Dana:
Try this 'mind' experiment. Into a beaker, place 10gms of salt. Now add
enough water to dissolve the salt and bring the final volume up to 100ml.
This is a 10% solution. The total weight of the salt in the 100ml of
solution is still 10gms. Now pour off 10ml of the solution. How much salt
will be in the 10ml? Well, since 10ml is 1/10th of the original solution,
it'll contain 1/10th of the total amount that was added originally. 1/10th
of the original 10gms is 1gm. We never need to know the volume of the salt.
THT
-LS
"Dana H. Myers" wrote in message
REana H. Myers wrote:
I know what the volume of 10 grams of water is.
What's the volume of 10g of NaOH?

I think you're mixing up two different conventions.
Dana

A 10ml solution of 10% NaOH will have 1 gram
of the solute; 10% of the solutions volume. As I said
the solute's amount is usually in grams. Dan

What's the volume of 1 gram of NaOH? Do you think
it is 1 ml? I don't think it is. You're mixing weight
and volume interchangeably here, which you can do with
water but not the solute.

Dana