Old May 23rd 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Viewfinders on DSLR's

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Kennedy McEwen
says...

In the old days (pre-1990), the tradeoff was made towards the accurate
DoF representation. However, since AF became more common on SLRs, the
tradeoff has shifted towards the brighter image, because the viewfinder
is no longer used for focussing. As a consequence of the demand for
brighter SLR viewfinders, DoF preview accuracy has reduced, to the point
where it is very misleading these days in almost all SLRs, and pretty
useless in many. The actual DoF is always much less than appears in the
viewfinder with modern cameras - unless they have interchangeable focus
screens and one is available that has been optimised for manual focus.

Thanks. So the only way to check depth of field accurately would be to
take one shot and examine it on the LCD screen (zooming into it)?

Really? I never considered that even in the oldest of days an SLR
screen DOF preview was for looking what was in focus ... it was for
looking at what was really our of focus, to get the proper subject-
background isolation. That still works fine on my Canon 30D.

Doug McDonald