Old May 11th 21, 12:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Nikon SB-600

On Sun, 09 May 2021 17:16:03 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

A few weeks ago my trusty Nikon SB-600 flash unit stopped working. I
sent it off to the Nikon service agent (700 miles away) and they
reported that after they cleaned the battery contacts it was working
OK.

I tried to use it again today and everything was working properly -
right up to when I try to take a photograph. All the right things
happen in the window, including the little red light blinking as the
capacitor recharges. But no flash.

The problem is probably the flash but I want to prove that on another
camera. The nearest suitable camera that I know is some 30 miles away,
right through the heart of Auckland. The owner works rather extreme
hours so it might be a week before I get to try it. In the meantime I
would be interested to hear from anyone who knows the workings of
Nikon flashes. What is the most likely problem?

A new development. I sent the flash back to the Nikon service centre
and they have just reported to me that the flash tube is broken -
shattered. Presumably this happened when the flash was being shipped
back to me although there was no evidence of rough handling on the
box. I would not have thought that they were that fragile.

Tubes may not be available in which case I am going to have to replace
it. There are plenty of low priced used SB-600s on the market but are
they worth buying. I am interested to note that, inspite of them not
having been made since 2010, an outfit in Japan claims to have 5 of
them - at US$900 each. Not fo me I am afraid.

Eric Stevens