Old November 10th 10, 10:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

Default I keep coming up with repair projects

On 11/10/2010 9:55 AM Cheesehead spake thus:

But the front rail section has a problem. It seems someone folded it
up too tightly.
That put some stress on the two rear joints and the glue has given way
so that they are loose.
Not good.
I'm going by Home Depot on the way home to pick up some good
resin (not just carpenter's glue/wood glue) to try and secure it nice
and tight.

Pick up a bottle of Titebond III. It *is* a carpenter's glue, and it's
as strong as you can get for wood.

Will also clamp it down for the night.
But will that be enough?

Maybe. How about some pictures. Hard to know what's being attached to
what where from your description.

I've considered putting a couple of screws through it, from the bottom
side up. But I don't know that type
of wood. Is that an appropriate strengthening?

It can be. But keep in mind that screws need enough good wood to bite
into to make a good connection. Also, screws put into end grain of wood
don't hold well. They need to go into the grain sideways (in other
words, perpendicular to the grain, not parallel with it).

You'll also need to drill pilot holes. I'd use brass wood screws.

I also considered coming in from the side with a couple of small oak
dowels, and resin them in place.
That would relieve lateral stress.
Your thoughts?

Dowels are good too. They can be about as small as toothpicks and still
hold well. (In fact, you can use toothpicks.) No need to use resin; just
use the Titebond.