Old July 9th 18, 03:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default The new 100-400mm seems to work.

In article , Eric Stevens
says...

On Sun, 08 Jul 2018 00:17:15 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jul 7, 2018, John McWilliams wrote
(in article ):

On 7/7/18 PDT 6:33 PM, Savageduck wrote:
Today in the wind North of San Simeon.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-4HpnjD4/0/9f7b73b9/O/i-4HpnjD4.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-DptDNMM/0/d66445c3/O/i-DptDNMM.jpg
Oh, yes, indeed!

Thanks.

Here are two mo

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-KDb6FXK/0/e0a99e61/O/i-KDb6FXK.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-VHS3kWL/0/e44ea180/O/i-VHS3kWL.jpg

I don't want to seem difficult - but I guess I am.

There was a time when, if I had submitted those images, as interesting
as they were to me, you would have said harsh words to me about the
fuzziness of the image. It wouldn't have been a personal attack but a
strong criticism. I am particularly thinking of those first
photographs of the Mosquito about which your comments were perfectly
justified.

What I would really like to know is a little more about the
processing, particularly about the extent to which the images were
cropped and what else if anything was done in their processing. I
suspect from their general lack of sharpness and their apparent noise
or graininess that they have been heavily cropped.

I noted from the EXIF that you were using f/8 at 1/500 with a 200 ASA.
Have you tried shots at a higher speed with a lesser f number?

I was about to ask the same thing, because indeed not all images are
tack sharp.

I also shot windsurfers with the OLympus 75-300 at 300mm (same field of
view as 400mm on APS-C). This is the budget tele lens of Olympus
(inexpensive and relatively lightweight). Of the images I got many were
blurred (perhaps motion blur), a few were quite sharp.

In both cases (Fuji and Olympus) the lack of sharpness could be due to
motion blur and/or imprecise AF (camera not being able to focus
precisely fast enough) - just guessing.

--
Alfred Molon