Old November 6th 17, 05:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Geotagging app

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| iphones have a gps, which can show altitude if it's tracking 4 or more
| gps satellites, just as any gps would.

A quick look around seems to indicate that the GPS
altitude used in cellphones is not very accurate.

it can be very accurate, depending on how many gps satellites are being
tracked.

recent iphones also have a barometer, as do many other smartphones,
wearables and of course, dedicated gps devices (e.g, garmin), which
increases accuracy, particularly indoors.

however, nothing is perfect. my garmin dedicated gps in my car once
told me i was 200 feet below sea level, despite being on a bridge over
a river and with at least 8 sats being tracked. it was wrong. it did
have the correct road, though.