Showing results 1 to 25 of 109
Search took 6.68 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Steve Wolfe
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras March 27th 07, 11:35 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 9
Posted By Steve Wolfe
Lens tutorial or guidelines for a newbie?

I'm familiar with sites like Thom Hogan's and He who must not be named
(KR ;) but they seem to presuppose a basic knowledge of lenses, like
500mm is a long focal length while 14mm is very...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras March 3rd 07, 12:50 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 11
Posted By Steve Wolfe
Canon announces the new EOS 1Ds Mark III Critic

And there are three settings which modify the degree and depth of the
criticism. They are "Beginner", which offers the harshest criticism,
"Advanced", a bit more moderate, and "Genius", where...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras February 23rd 07, 05:27 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 6
Posted By Steve Wolfe
Are there any 3 CCD Digital Still Image Cameras

.... if so, please advice.

Not really, but the Foveon sensors are perhaps a step in the direction of
having 3 CCDs.

steve
Forum: Digital Photography February 23rd 07, 05:26 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 14
Posted By Steve Wolfe
getting a balanced exposure of artwork

when you all talk of "dynamic range", do you mean lightest light to
darkest dark,,,, or subtleties in between?

Lightest to darkest. It's usually expressed in terms of how many stops
(or...
Forum: Digital Photography February 22nd 07, 04:28 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 14
Posted By Steve Wolfe
getting a balanced exposure of artwork

All good advice in response to this, but oil paint has a much greater
_possible_ dynamic range than a digital sensor can record (why is
everyone
assuming that it doesn't?)

Because VERY...
Forum: Digital Photography February 20th 07, 07:53 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 14
Posted By Steve Wolfe
getting a balanced exposure of artwork

i have another q. the one thing i wish were better is a well balanced
exposure between the darks and lights of my paintings. they're ok for
now, but as i expected, the lights get a bit washed...
Forum: Digital Photography February 20th 07, 01:15 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 11
Posted By Steve Wolfe
Suggested reading?

What I am after is "what is different about using DSLR compared to
film SLR".

Your dynamic range is less than that of negative film, and greater than
that of many (most?) slide films. Other...
Forum: Digital Photography February 20th 07, 01:12 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 13
Posted By Steve Wolfe
Canon EOS D30 "lenses"

I will be buying this camera this week my question it come with the
EF-S18-55 lens - should I go for the body only and by a separate lens
instead? Is so witch one is there a difference between...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras February 11th 07, 08:56 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 14
Posted By Steve Wolfe
canine action photography - few tips needed

I think these photos illustrate the differences in our experiences.
The dog appears to be in a trot or fast walk, not a full out run.
Try your AI servo when the dog is running at top speed...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras February 10th 07, 03:40 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 14
Posted By Steve Wolfe
canine action photography - few tips needed

Whenever I've been tracking a dog and had AI-servo fail me, it's always
because at least one of two factors was present: One, the dog was moving
erratically rather than at a semi-steady...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras February 10th 07, 04:26 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 14
Posted By Steve Wolfe
canine action photography - few tips needed

What kind of dogs are your trying to track?
Many running dogs are too fast for even high end cameras
to track. I use a 1D Mark II set on high speed AI and
these dogs can run faster than the...
Forum: Digital Photography February 2nd 07, 03:34 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 11
Posted By Steve Wolfe
Using Flash Beyond The Guide Number Distance.

At 105mm & ISO100 my Canon Speedlite 580EX has a guide number of 58
(meters). At ISO3200 (maximum ISO of the Canon 20D) the 'effective' guide
number becomes 328. My lens has a maximum...
Forum: Digital Photography January 30th 07, 02:35 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 17
Posted By Steve Wolfe
Best current MAHA Battery Charger?

the 'ultimate' is currently the mh-c9000 wizard one.

Cool. What about the "value" level?

Thomas doesn't appear to have them, but Newegg carries the C204F charger,
which at $20, is a...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras January 23rd 07, 03:23 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 29
Posted By Steve Wolfe
10 vs 8 MP

I am trying to decide if 10 MP is significantly better than 8MP. ( just
want to decide whether to buy Canon XTi or 30d )

It's the difference between making a print that's 11.75" wide, and a...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras January 20th 07, 02:58 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 10
Posted By Steve Wolfe
EOS-350D stays at "999"

It only has three digits, it can't display anything larger. If it
thinks
you have 1,000 or more shots left, it will just say "999".

That makes sense, but the memory card only has...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras January 19th 07, 10:42 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 10
Posted By Steve Wolfe
EOS-350D stays at "999"

For some reason the counter in the display on my EOS-350D stays at
"999" despite taking new shots, but only in the "green" and other
"automatic" modes. In the "creative" modes I believe it...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras January 18th 07, 02:45 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 17
Posted By Steve Wolfe
Lensbaby 3G?

Anybody have one of these? How do you like it?

Perhaps a lot of people here are computer literate and prefer to Photoshop
the same effect?

Good luck with that. Emulating spherical...
Forum: Digital Photography January 17th 07, 05:07 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 17
Posted By Steve Wolfe
best (low cost) stitching application

I've had several problems with Autostitch - not the least of which is
memory errors on moderate-sized (well, I don't think they are
*ridiculously* huge - am I wrong?) pano's (eg 12 x 9Mp...
Forum: Digital Photography January 8th 07, 06:33 AM Posted to alt.comp.devices.digital-cameras,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 5
Posted By Steve Wolfe
Thoughts on Hoya Filters?

I am in need of UV and Circular Polarizer filters. In reading reviews...
it definitely sounds like B+W is the best and worth the price. If I were
using L series lenses, I would definitely...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras January 7th 07, 08:51 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 7
Posted By Steve Wolfe
Best lense on a Canon 5d for OCR

Richard L. Wohlers wrote:

A scanner. Using a 5D for OCR, regardless of lens, is daft.

I don't think so, not at all. Once you set up your "station", you can
crank...
Forum: Digital Photography January 7th 07, 06:02 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 20
Posted By Steve Wolfe
Difference between lenses for film and lenses for digital?

Is there a difference between lenses made for photographing with film
vs. digital photographing? I've read that there is. I ask because I
want to buy one of the new Pentax K cameras that will...
Forum: Digital Photography December 30th 06, 05:45 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 9
Posted By Steve Wolfe
This is Your Year-End Conscience Speaking....

Lessons learned:

1) Back up MONTHLY at a minimum - More often if you have added important
information.

One of my favorite sayings is "If you can't afford to make backups, you
can't...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras December 21st 06, 07:06 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 15
Posted By Steve Wolfe
F Number

Photographers,
I have got some trouble with F-number terminology.I would like to know
whether a particular number say F/4.5 means same(i.e it allows same
quantity of light) for ALL lenses at...
Forum: Digital Photography December 21st 06, 06:53 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 25
Posted By Steve Wolfe
paper cutter

Blade type cutters will never cut square regardless of what you pay for
them. The only way is to use one with a circular blade like a pizza
cutter on a rail.

That is how you are using...
Forum: Digital Photography December 17th 06, 06:21 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 7
Posted By Steve Wolfe
Rechargeable battery life related question

Canon S1 IS has an excellent video capability and I have used that
function extensively. Does that constitute being "hard on them?"

Other than that I don't think I have either been hard on...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 109