Showing results 1 to 25 of 88
Search took 1.58 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Keith Sheppard
Forum: Digital Photography April 16th 07, 10:19 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 37
Posted By Keith Sheppard
How much information does jpeg lose?

If I shoot RAW and then in Photoshop, export it to a jpeg
with the highest ssetting, how much information is lost?

I'm wondering what you mean by the question. Do you mean mathematically?
If...
Forum: Digital Photography March 22nd 07, 10:45 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 60
Posted By Keith Sheppard
JPG-TIFF-JPG

I suppose now we'll start the perennial "the more mega pixels the
better the picture", just so much hogwash unless properly
qualified a dozen ways from Sunday.
I recently upgraded my camera for...
Forum: Digital Photography March 22nd 07, 10:35 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 60
Posted By Keith Sheppard
JPG-TIFF-JPG

On a recent trip, I took all my photos in high quality JPG's. Does it make
any sense to convert them to TIFF files for the purposes of munipulation,
and then convert the finished photo back...
Forum: Digital Photography March 21st 07, 12:47 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 24
Posted By Keith Sheppard
Using camera software instead of card reader

I'm well aware of the difference between USB 1.1 and 2 - mainly because my
aging laptop only had USB1.1 to start with. I did actually go out and buy a
USB 2 plug in card but that was for...
Forum: Digital Photography March 21st 07, 12:41 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 24
Posted By Keith Sheppard
Using camera software instead of card reader

If you have a 1GB card, the difference can be between 1 minute for the
card reader,
and 30 minutes for the camera.
Certainly those figures might justify a reader but it's never taken me more...
Forum: Digital Photography March 21st 07, 12:37 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 24
Posted By Keith Sheppard
Using camera software instead of card reader

suffer the vagaries of proprietory software
I agree with you on that front. I am constantly mystified as to why camera
manufacturers feel this urge to provide proprietary software which adds no...
Forum: Digital Photography March 20th 07, 10:20 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 24
Posted By Keith Sheppard
Using camera software instead of card reader

A card reader is probably faster at ransferring the images though...
I wonder if that's true if you factor in the time taken to remove the card
from the camera, put it in the reader, take it out...
Forum: Digital Photography March 20th 07, 10:15 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 24
Posted By Keith Sheppard
Using camera software instead of card reader

I'd be very surprised if the software provided with the camera introduces
any quality loss. The main disadvantage, in my experience, of camera
suppliers' software packages is that they add no...
Forum: Digital Photography March 16th 07, 01:11 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 18
Posted By Keith Sheppard
Colour comparison algorithms

Thanks again Mike.

Mine is a non commercial application - I give the basic feature set away as
freeware although I do receive a small amount in licence sales for the
"advanced features" but it's...
Forum: Digital Photography March 16th 07, 01:09 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 18
Posted By Keith Sheppard
Colour comparison algorithms

Without seeing your map it is hard to know if it would work for you.
The aim is not to achieve this for a specific map but to produce a general
application which will perform the task for any...
Forum: Digital Photography March 16th 07, 01:06 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 18
Posted By Keith Sheppard
Colour comparison algorithms

If you have a full version of Photoshop, simply switch to the lab mode and
read the lab values for a pixel or a pixel group in the info drop-down
menu.
I'm writing an application for others...
Forum: Digital Photography March 16th 07, 01:03 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 18
Posted By Keith Sheppard
Colour comparison algorithms

From what I understand you are working on a self steering program to guide
a car down a road?
Nothing so dangerous! No, I'm working on an application which allows you to
create vector maps to...
Forum: Digital Photography March 15th 07, 12:27 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 18
Posted By Keith Sheppard
Colour comparison algorithms

Thanks Mike for some useful ideas.

Other versions of dE improve on this by taking into account various
correction factors, such as the eye's increased sensitivity to variations
in...
Forum: Digital Photography March 15th 07, 12:19 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 18
Posted By Keith Sheppard
Colour comparison algorithms

Thanks Jim, I'll certainly take a look.

Keith
Forum: Digital Photography March 15th 07, 12:19 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 18
Posted By Keith Sheppard
Colour comparison algorithms

Thanks Keith.

As two respondents have mentioned Lab it sounds like that might be the way
to go.

Keith
Forum: Digital Photography March 14th 07, 05:34 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 18
Posted By Keith Sheppard
Colour comparison algorithms

This isn't really a photography question but this forum strikes me as the
sort of place where people who know these things might hang out...

I am trying to write a software routine which will...
Forum: Digital Photography February 20th 07, 06:58 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 39
Posted By Keith Sheppard
jpeg degradation usually better ignored?

Use the Photoshop difference layer to investigate. It's more reliable
than your eyes, because JPEG was designed to fool human perception.
I understand I may be in the minority amongst the...
Forum: Digital Photography February 19th 07, 10:56 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 34
Posted By Keith Sheppard
Reminder: Total Eclipse coming up

Maybe you haven't noticed how much of that "fizzy lager-like stuff"
is being sold in the UK these days.
It hadn't escaped my notice. I have a nasty feeling that amongst the
younger generation a...
Forum: Digital Photography February 14th 07, 02:10 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 34
Posted By Keith Sheppard
Reminder: Total Eclipse coming up

As everyone else thinks it /is/ beer, isn't about time the
UK came into line?
Oh, I don't think so. We never were particularly hot on standards or
uniformity.

Please read the rest of this...
Forum: Digital Photography February 14th 07, 11:12 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 34
Posted By Keith Sheppard
Reminder: Total Eclipse coming up

My heart bleeds. :-(
(All the way from Sydney, Australia)

At least our beer and women are better. ;-)
I'm sorry, do Australians make beer? I thought the rest of the world only...
Forum: Digital Photography February 14th 07, 11:09 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 34
Posted By Keith Sheppard
Reminder: Total Eclipse coming up

I know we are talking moon here, but 1999 was the one and only time I have
witnessed a total eclipse of the sun. I'm a Brit and I witnessed it in
Northern France. This was in the days before I...
Forum: Digital Photography February 8th 07, 10:29 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 48
Posted By Keith Sheppard
How do you guys view your digital photos?

The guy was asking about displaying to a group. I'm assuming that
he's talking about in a conference room or auditorium, not in his
living room. What would _you_ use?
I looked at the original...
Forum: Digital Photography February 7th 07, 12:28 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 48
Posted By Keith Sheppard
How do you guys view your digital photos?

It is interesting to note how few people PRINT their images.
I always print a selection for long term use. OK, I also archive to DVD.
That's useful to have when you want to look at something in...
Forum: Digital Photography February 7th 07, 12:28 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 48
Posted By Keith Sheppard
How do you guys view your digital photos?

Uh, HDTV isn't "TV". A good one will have higher
resolution than most laptops.
I obviously mix in different circles from the rest of you guys. I don't
actually know anyone who owns an HDTV and...
Forum: Digital Photography February 7th 07, 12:04 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 48
Posted By Keith Sheppard
How do you guys view your digital photos?

How do you guys view your digital photos?

Computer monitor obviously, but I mean after that. Say you want to
show a bunch of people a few dozen shots.

o Digital projector?
o HD...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 88