Showing results 1 to 19 of 19
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Mike M
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras August 8th 07, 02:26 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Replies: 157
Posted By Mike M
digital camera as exposure meter

Film, negative in particular, has more latitude than digital. Hence I
That isn't true for current DSLRs.

Agreed.

A persistent myth... :-)

how many stops of latitude shooting in...
Forum: Medium Format Photography Equipment August 8th 07, 02:26 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Replies: 138
Posted By Mike M
digital camera as exposure meter

Film, negative in particular, has more latitude than digital. Hence I
That isn't true for current DSLRs.

Agreed.

A persistent myth... :-)

how many stops of latitude shooting in...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment July 21st 07, 03:05 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 39
Posted By Mike M
Cameras that Last AND Last AND Last... (35mm bayonette mount SLRs in particular)

Some camera experiences:

My Minolta X-700 is still ticking and I go through about 25 rolls/year,
but after a couple severe drops onto concrete, some of the LEDs in the
viewfinder are no longer...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment May 23rd 07, 06:56 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 12
Posted By Mike M
Question from a non-lf user......Thank you.

Hi Ric,

I'm here in Madison. If you are ever in town, I can show you my 4x5
setup.

wrt to setting up a darkroom. It doesn't take much. I use my laundry
room. I acquired an old Omega 4x5...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment May 23rd 07, 02:14 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 12
Posted By Mike M
Question from a non-lf user.

Hi Ric,

Where are you located in WI?

I use a changing tent to load and unload film. I just use an empty film
box to take exposed sheets to my local lab (I do develop my own B&W sheets
using...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment May 18th 07, 08:11 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 18
Posted By Mike M
35mm beyond 14x17

I'll do my best with Provia 100 since I think it scans
better, of course use tripod, and set the camera to EV
+0.7 for good measure.

Whoops ...

If you haven't taken the picture...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment May 18th 07, 03:42 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 18
Posted By Mike M
35mm beyond 14x17

If you used fine-grained ISO 100 slide film, a 16x20 will look decent.

I've seen 20x24 prints from ISO 50 Velvia 35mm film and the look pretty
good too.

Hello,

This is a subjective...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment May 15th 07, 02:55 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 43
Posted By Mike M
B&H fail the "packing test" - again

3 of the last 4 packages ordered from B&H have been mis-packed. 2 of the
4 resulted in damage that I had to send back.

I have posted pictures online about the mispackaging. Henry has
personally...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment April 23rd 07, 02:31 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 18
Posted By Mike M
ebay wonders

I listed a 7-year old Dell server on eBay. Cost $2000 when brand
new, but worth pretty much nothing today. Starting bid of $50. I was
expecting maybe to get $100 for it. For kicks, I put a...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment April 21st 07, 01:00 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 31
Posted By Mike M
The 300dpi Myth Exploded !

Then how do you suppose I made a 24"x36" print at 160dpi?
That's over 22 megapixels.

Just for fun I took my pic and printed 5x7 crops from it at 160dpi and
300dpi. I had to really upsize...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment April 20th 07, 02:05 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 31
Posted By Mike M
The 300dpi Myth Exploded !

Admittedly, my 4x5 only works for certain things too, but at least I can
practice the art of composition and I don't have to contemplate beforehand
whether or not I'm making a large print.
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment April 20th 07, 03:47 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 31
Posted By Mike M
The 300dpi Myth Exploded !

And don't give me the stitching argument either because it only works for
certain things and often times you don't know in advance that this
particular shot is gonna deserve a large print....
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment April 20th 07, 03:42 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 31
Posted By Mike M
The 300dpi Myth Exploded !

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:26:49 -0700, Annika1980 wrote:

On Apr 19, 10:12 pm, Mike M wrote:

Did you get the same print done at 300dpi? Oh, thats right, you couldn't.

Why...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment April 20th 07, 03:12 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 31
Posted By Mike M
The 300dpi Myth Exploded !

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:52:15 -0700, Annika1980 wrote:

On Apr 19, 7:36 pm, Mike M wrote:
Are you saying that a 160dpi print has the same visual quality as a 300dpi
print? ...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment April 20th 07, 12:49 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 31
Posted By Mike M
The 300dpi Myth Exploded !

From WestCoastImaging.com, a well-regarding printing house:

Chromira and LightJet printers:
These printers make excellent quality prints from 200 dpi files. Even
though their native resolution is...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment April 20th 07, 12:36 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 31
Posted By Mike M
The 300dpi Myth Exploded !

Are you saying that a 160dpi print has the same visual quality as a 300dpi
print? Thats funny. What is your viewing distance? A 100dpi print looks
damn good from 20-feet away.

On Thu, 19 Apr...
Forum: In The Darkroom March 29th 07, 03:17 AM Posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Replies: 8
Posted By Mike M
Pregnant? (On topic!) -- Thanks!

I'd also like to thank EVERYONE in this group, for keeping the
signal-to-noise ratio so high! It's one of the best I've seen in over
ten years on Usenet newsgroups. (I just unsubscribed...
Forum: In The Darkroom March 27th 07, 04:53 PM Posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Replies: 8
Posted By Mike M
Pregnant? (On topic!)

Disclaimer: I am not a healthcare or safety professional

Precautions: Wear gloves. Use VitaminC/Phenidone developers. Avoid
toners.

Then if the darkroom has decent ventilation, I personally...
Forum: In The Darkroom March 20th 07, 01:21 AM Posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Replies: 8
Posted By Mike M
Anyone heard from Patrick Gainer

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 04:04:38 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Mr. Gainer is currently posting on APUG. At present
he is expounding upon his formula for a Metol concentrate
Rodinol substitute....
Showing results 1 to 19 of 19