Showing results 1 to 25 of 116
Search took 3.27 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Doug McDonald[_4_]
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras January 26th 11, 09:12 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 2
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
Medium format back prices ludicrous

On 1/25/2011 5:13 PM, RichA wrote:
On Jan 25, 4:35 am, wrote:
RichA wrote:
The price of an entry-level car? 4000lbs of steel, plastic,...
Forum: Digital Photography January 26th 11, 09:12 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital

On Jan 25, 4:35 am, wrote:
RichA wrote:
The price of an entry-level car? 4000lbs of steel, plastic,...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras January 22nd 11, 06:31 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 17
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
Thom Hogan held hostage in Chile

On 1/22/2011 9:37 AM, Alan Browne wrote:

You would be dead meat in any number in Caracas. The first time I went there (1994 ish), it was
relatively safe, though both the hotel manager and my...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras January 18th 11, 02:34 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 12
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
Will silver at $30/oz kill film?

On 1/18/2011 6:27 AM, peter wrote:

Do you know the difference between platinum and palladium.
Which one is the most widely used in converters.

You bet I know the difference! Which is, for...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment January 17th 11, 09:58 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 18
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
What do you do with a 4x5 Sinar-P?

On 1/17/2011 3:37 PM, VOR-DME wrote:
In ,
says...

After-capture software is hard-put to do out-of focus in most...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment January 17th 11, 09:00 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 18
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
What do you do with a 4x5 Sinar-P?

Elucidate? I am not going to publish pages and pages of Photoshop tutorial
here, and I’ve explained why. I feel I have a pretty good grasp on what a
twenty-something photo student is looking...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment January 17th 11, 06:06 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 18
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
What do you do with a 4x5 Sinar-P?

On 1/17/2011 12:49 AM, Lawrence T. Akutagawa wrote:

"So elucidate, please, how with the phone camera one can create each of the three images
discussed....not with after image manipulation,...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras January 11th 11, 07:42 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Replies: 30
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
Kodachrome processing on life support

On 1/10/2011 6:06 PM, Mort wrote:

I recently had some 55 year old Kodachrome slides scanned to CD-R, then I printed them out via my
PC. Not only have the colors not faded at all, in...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment January 11th 11, 03:31 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 48
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
No need to know anything..

On 1/9/2011 5:35 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

One area though where I notice nobody assigning equipment to the result
is cooking: When you make something delicious nobody ever mentions the stove,...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras December 21st 10, 09:54 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 2
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
170mm x 60mm Dalsa sensor finds it way into a camera

On 12/21/2010 3:49 PM, RichA wrote:
Looks like Seitz beat RED to the punch, unless RED actually released
their camera with that sensor.

http://www.photonics.com/Article.aspx?AID=45281

Are...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras December 17th 10, 02:38 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 13
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
30 years of BAD pictures

On 12/17/2010 8:11 AM, Bruce wrote:

Would you kindly use words to explain "tehe"?

dyslexic fingers
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras December 17th 10, 02:03 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 13
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
30 years of BAD pictures

On 12/17/2010 7:59 AM, Richard wrote:
"Doug wrote in message
On 12/17/2010 7:14 AM, Richard wrote:
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras December 17th 10, 01:30 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 13
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
30 years of BAD pictures

On 12/17/2010 7:14 AM, Richard wrote:
"Paul wrote in message
;-)

http://www.wimp.com/badpictures/

Forum: Digital Photography December 7th 10, 10:04 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 22
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
Super clouds

Indeed a sensor "sees" linearly and we see, in some sense, logarithmically.

However ... if you want an accurate image, you want the print to be more
a more or less linear representation of the...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras December 5th 10, 05:18 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 27
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
Think this film will still hold an image?

On 12/5/2010 11:06 AM, Rich wrote:
On Dec 5, 11:57 am, wrote:
wrote:
As I recall, ISO film speeds weren't in use 40 years ago,...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras December 5th 10, 02:25 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 27
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
Think this film will still hold an image?

On 12/4/2010 5:58 PM, Rich wrote:
It's still in it's sealed packet. Should be interesting to see what comes
out of it, if anything. I'm guessing it's probably 50-100 ISO.

Forum: Digital SLR Cameras December 2nd 10, 02:34 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 163
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
The de-liberalization of photography

On 12/1/2010 7:02 PM, Savageduck wrote:

Unfortunately much of what happens in California is proposition driven, so the Legislature and
Judges have their hands tied by the voters.

In other...
Forum: Digital Photography December 2nd 10, 02:34 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 28
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
The de-liberalization of photography

On 12/1/2010 7:02 PM, Savageduck wrote:

Unfortunately much of what happens in California is proposition driven, so the Legislature and
Judges have their hands tied by the voters.

In other...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras December 2nd 10, 02:29 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 163
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
The de-liberalization of photography

Another way to reduced the incarceration rate is to provide better
public defenders and to reduce their workload. I don't see that
happening in this economy, though.

The "best" way to...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras November 19th 10, 01:43 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 18
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
Canon 60D; another look at noise comparisons in RAW

On 11/19/2010 4:03 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:

What I don't understand is that if you are testing for noise why is
the lens important.
Isn;t there a way of removing the lens from the test.

Not...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras November 17th 10, 08:17 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 18
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
Canon 60D; another look at noise comparisons in RAW

If you want to test all cameras with the same lens, why not use
a dedicated prime macro lens on a bellows. I'm talking the
old-fashioned rather simple design ones. Or use a high quality
enlarger...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras November 13th 10, 02:45 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 12
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
Canon has lost the high ISO noise war

As far as "losing" the high ISO noise way, that's impossible at the moment.

That's because it is far from over. There is still a substantial component
of electronic amplifier noise in it that is...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras October 18th 10, 08:36 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 17
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
Oops, I did it again!

What possible use is a polariser on a lens of this focal length range?
Even at 24mm on APS-C, there are very few shots where a polariser
would give a useful result.

What? Are you...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras October 18th 10, 06:46 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 17
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
Olympus shocker! E-5, no AA filter!!

Just remember that an AA filter is unnecessary if you use a crappy lens.

Doug McDonald
Forum: Digital Photography October 14th 10, 06:41 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 56
Posted By Doug McDonald[_4_]
some B&W landscape conversions

On 10/13/2010 5:24 PM, Mr.T wrote:

Surely the photographer should have the same control over his original data
files as he does over his negatives?

Yes, but in Art, the mere ability to make...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 116