Showing results 1 to 25 of 125
Search took 0.33 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Paul D. Sullivan
Forum: Digital Photography August 5th 07, 09:03 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 20
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
Olympus Cameras - similar / consistent results from most of their cameras?

Olympus unfortunately no longer make good compact cameras
such as the 5050.

Thank you for the well throught-out reply. I too lament the
apparent drop in quality.

Thanks for the tip on the...
Forum: Digital Photography August 5th 07, 09:01 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 20
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
Olympus Cameras - similar / consistent results from most of their cameras?

The Canon S5 IS may be a better choice. If the flash is too
weak for your needs at least you can use a flash on the hot
shoe.

That may be a decent option. The addition of a hot shoe is...
Forum: Digital Photography August 5th 07, 08:59 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 20
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
Olympus Cameras - similar / consistent results from most of their cameras?

Appreicate the reply.

I wish the C5050 was indicative of the level of quality they had
maintained. It has been a wonderful camera. If it had an 8x or
higher zoom, I think I'd be content to live...
Forum: Digital Photography August 5th 07, 08:57 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 20
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
Olympus Cameras - similar / consistent results from most of their cameras?

Thank you

I just moved from a C-50 to a Stylus 780. Gave up manual mode
and an optical view finder but went from 3x to 5x zoom, 5MP to
7.1MP, much larger LCD screen, and it fits easily in...
Forum: Digital Photography August 4th 07, 01:39 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 20
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
Olympus Cameras - similar / consistent results from most of their cameras?

I have an Olympus C5050 and find it has been one of the very best
cameras I have ever owned. I think the picture quality is
outstanding and it almost never has red-eye. Colors may not be
as warm...
Forum: Digital Photography June 13th 07, 04:40 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 7
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
Any Canon S5 IS reviews out yet?

Thanks for that info.

I have to admit, I'm not too impressed at all.

I swear, my Olympus C5050 takes better pics by far than that
thing seems to.

Maybe I'll have to give up my quest for an 8+mp...
Forum: Digital Photography June 13th 07, 07:54 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 7
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
Any Canon S5 IS reviews out yet?

Just lookin' for reviews for the Canon S5 IS.

Anyone finding any yet? If so, could you please share the links?

Thanks
Forum: Digital Photography June 13th 07, 07:53 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 9
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H9 - worth it, even with proprietary battery?

Maybe - but hey, I like AA batteries. I'm not hurting anyone, so
why should people care?

Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
Canon S5 IS uses AA. :)

I like standard batteries that I can pick up in...
Forum: Digital Photography June 12th 07, 07:47 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 9
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H9 - worth it, even with proprietary battery?

Canon S5 IS uses AA. :)

I like standard batteries that I can pick up in just about any
shop while on vacation should my batteries run out.

Not clear why the battery is a prime consideration. Few...
Forum: Digital Photography June 12th 07, 06:57 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 9
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H9 - worth it, even with proprietary battery?

Wondering what folks think of the Sony DSC-H9 camera, and if it
is worth buying even if it does use proprietary batteries.

It seems to have both a high resolution EVF (201,000 pixels) and
a high...
Forum: Digital Photography June 3rd 07, 10:21 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 0
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
Any actual in-depth reviews of the S5 IS yet?

Wondering if there are any reviews for this new cam out?

Anyone know of any? If so, could you please share the links?

Thanks much.
Forum: Digital Photography May 24th 07, 04:32 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 32
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
Mega Pixel Myth

It may be a personal preference, or some folks may just see
things differently, but in general, I think 300 dpi of
resolvable detail seems to work well for most, including me.
:)

I,...
Forum: Digital Photography May 24th 07, 04:08 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 32
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
Mega Pixel Myth

I go for 300 ppi / dpi if I can get it, but find that anything
below 240 ppi / dpi starts to look a bit degraded to me for
normal distance viewing.

100 ppi / dpi to me looks simply...
Forum: Digital Photography May 24th 07, 03:24 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 3
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
What P&S Super Zooms have 205,000-230,000 pixel EVF's?

Looking if someone out there may have a list of non DSLR Point &
Shoot Super Zooms (say 8x or better?) that use a higher density
EVF with at least 205,000 pixels, maybe up to 230,000?

If you do...
Forum: Digital Photography May 24th 07, 03:21 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 32
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
Mega Pixel Myth

As was also pointed out by Dean K, if it's for practical
purposes, after downsampling to 100ppi re-upsample to 300ppi
or so before sending, so the detail is equivalent to 100ppi
but you...
Forum: Digital Photography May 24th 07, 12:21 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 89
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
EVF - is 115,000 enough? Or is 205,000-230,000 really what is needed?

Just don't want to make the move to DSLR is all. Prefer a
permanently affixed lens matched to the sensor.

Most of the DSLR cameras on the market can be made to "rock"
in the same way.
There...
Forum: Digital Photography May 23rd 07, 08:27 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 40
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
Mega Pixel Myth

I guess, but I know a bunch of folks who buy point and shoot
and just don't have the knack for framing a pic. They just
want to capture memories as easily as they can, and for them,
Forum: Digital Photography May 23rd 07, 01:01 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 89
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
EVF - is 115,000 enough? Or is 205,000-230,000 really what is needed?

Kodak P series has all of that except the AA batteries - why
are you hung up on that? I can take several hundred pictures
with the lithium-ion battery in my P850 - and I have a spare.

Why am I...
Forum: Digital Photography May 23rd 07, 12:58 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 40
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
Mega Pixel Myth

One word. "Cropping"

I have found that the need for cropping decreases dramatically
with experience.

I guess, but I know a bunch of folks who buy point and shoot and
just don't have the...
Forum: Digital Photography May 22nd 07, 11:34 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 89
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
EVF - is 115,000 enough? Or is 205,000-230,000 really what is needed?

Paul,

You can manage with "115K", but the VGA resolution EVF in the
Minolta A2 (advertised as "900,000 pixels") was much nearer to
something which provided a comfortable view. I find that...
Forum: Digital Photography May 22nd 07, 11:32 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 89
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
EVF - is 115,000 enough? Or is 205,000-230,000 really what is needed?

I found that in looking through one (canon s31s and a couple
of other brands as well) and then comparing with a higher res
model from Kodak that the difference was striking - I strongly
Forum: Digital Photography May 22nd 07, 11:28 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 40
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
Mega Pixel Myth

This must be a troll as you don't need 5-6 megapixels for a
4x6.

Unless you like to crop a lot. :)
Forum: Digital Photography May 22nd 07, 11:27 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 40
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
Mega Pixel Myth

My 5mp Oly C5050 prints decent 240 dpi 8x10's, but I would prefer
to get an 8mp so I can get the full 300 dpi at 8x10. I think
that is about as high as I feel I "need" to go. Anything above
that...
Forum: Digital Photography May 22nd 07, 12:27 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 89
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
EVF - is 115,000 enough? Or is 205,000-230,000 really what is needed?

I'm curious about EVF's for superzoom cameras. One I'm looking
at has 115,000 pixels for the EVF, and I'm curious how well that
is working for most folks. Is it sufficient for clear focus at...
Forum: Digital Photography May 17th 07, 01:35 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 7
Posted By Paul D. Sullivan
Olympus SP-550 UZ or Canon S3 IS

SJ wrote:
Haven't been around for a while. Have read reviews on
dpreviews, but wanted to see what you guys had to say.
Right now I have the Canon S3 and I guess I'm happy with it.
Showing results 1 to 25 of 125