Showing results 1 to 25 of 30
Search took 0.05 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: james
Forum: Digital Photography December 4th 10, 06:48 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 0
Posted By james
What camera for my 8 year old kid? (video, pictures, rugged, tripod, easy)

"Dr Rig" wrote in message
My kid loves to make short movies where he videos and talks as he plays
with action figures.

For Xmas, Santa...
Forum: Digital Photography November 18th 10, 11:40 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 10
Posted By james
Are lithium AA 1.5V or 1.7V?

Has anyone tried lithium AA batteries in digital camera?

I have one set of lithium AA that measures 1.7V. I also see lithium AA
advertised as 1.5V but I read somewhere that lithium battery is...
Forum: Digital Photography August 26th 10, 05:01 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 8
Posted By james
exif manipulating utility?

Any suggestion on freeware for windows that can do the exif
manipulations?

XnView does these things. xnview.com

Thanks to all who contributed. I am already using xnview but other than...
Forum: Digital Photography August 25th 10, 06:30 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 8
Posted By james
exif manipulating utility?

After a trip I collected photos from several friends. Some of them have the
wrong file time stamp. Some also have wrong exif dates (not adjusted for
time zone). Plus, I created jpg files that are...
Forum: Digital Photography July 4th 10, 09:10 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 154
Posted By james
Why DSLR still use CF card?

SDxx card have equaled or bettered CF card. Is there a good reason why high
end DSLRs still use CF cards? This actually seems like a turn-off, not a
feature.
Forum: Digital Photography June 5th 10, 05:37 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 1
Posted By james
photo browser that works on http folder?

There's an online newspaper that is published as a folder online (e.g.
http://somewhere.com/news) with a bunch of jpg files.

Right now I have to view the folder in IE8, then right click each jpg...
Forum: Digital Photography May 28th 10, 04:26 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 0
Posted By james
Lighting equipment for portraits

Thanks...what do you think of Wescott or Alien Bees?

I have 3 white lightning monolights bought more than 10 years ago and they
still work. Admittedly I only use them a few times each months. They...
Forum: Digital Photography May 10th 10, 05:52 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 4
Posted By james
Cost Effective "Pro" Compact

I will be travelling to countries where an expensive camera would
attract too much attention. I would love to take an LX3, G11 or Nikon
D40, but would not feel comfortable with it.

I would...
Forum: Digital Photography October 24th 09, 05:32 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 15
Posted By james
jpeg file comparision software?

Keep in mind that many so-called "lossless" rotation algorithms must
truncate an image on 8x8 pixel-block boundaries. So while the image data
in
the main portion of the image might be...
Forum: Digital Photography October 22nd 09, 03:50 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 15
Posted By james
jpeg file comparision software?

Are there any GUI software for windows that compares two jpeg file and
report if they are the same?

I need to verify the photo browser's lossless rotate is indeed lossless. I
can use photoshop to...
Forum: Digital Photography October 21st 09, 06:45 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 3
Posted By james
faststone lossless rotation bug?

Anyone used a photo viewer called faststone viewer?

If I rotate a jpg image with it (supposedly it performs a lossless
rotation), it displays fine in faststone, but the icon view in windows...
Forum: Digital Photography October 20th 09, 07:14 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 16
Posted By james
Recommendation Request: Good PnS Digital

Basically, the characteristics I think are important a adjustable
flash intensity and adjustable apeture. Maybe also a pre-set macro/
close-up mode......and of course inexpensive (under...
Forum: Digital Photography October 17th 09, 06:17 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 10
Posted By james
portable digital photo album?

James, I have been looking around for something similar. To
everyone else reading this: What I'm looking for, and what I suspect
James is looking for, is something I can just pull out and...
Forum: Digital Photography October 12th 09, 05:20 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 10
Posted By james
portable digital photo album?

I started to shoot portraits for friends and family, and I want to be able
to carry around a pocketable photo portfolio.

ipod touch is popular and has 480 x 320 (3:2) screen
zune hd has OLED 480 x...
Forum: Digital Photography October 2nd 09, 04:51 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 55
Posted By james
extract high resolution b/w from color?

Is there a way to extract a black and white image from a color digital slr
with higher resolution than the color version?
Forum: Digital Photography September 2nd 09, 02:09 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 2
Posted By james
2700mAh NiMH gone bad after storage?

I bought 8 sanyo 2700mAh AA batteries 2 years ago. When tested with a maha
c9000 charger, they had more or less 2700mAh capacity.

I used them on and off without problem until now. After about 6...
Forum: Digital Photography September 2nd 09, 01:56 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 4
Posted By james
monitor calibration on unlimited pc?

If I calibrate my monitor with a paid software, can I use a free software
LUT loader to load the .icc file at startup?

I believe so.

This is because the paid software has a license...
Forum: Digital Photography August 29th 09, 09:48 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 4
Posted By james
monitor calibration on unlimited pc?

I believe monitor calibration software outputs a .icc file. Is this a
standard file format?

If I calibrate my monitor with a paid software, can I use a free software
LUT loader to load the .icc...
Forum: Photographing People August 25th 09, 01:52 PM Posted to rec.photo.technique.people
Replies: 1
Posted By james
posable figures to learn posing?

Is there any software with 3D posable figures that I can use to practice
posing models for portraits?

Realistic looking posable dolls would also work. By realistic, I mean non
shinny skin.

I'm...
Forum: Digital Photography May 20th 09, 06:50 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 2
Posted By james
Which video camera will capture golf swing in slow motion?

"Prof Wonmug" wrote in message
Can someone tell me what type of camera might have been used for these
videos:

Forum: Digital Photography May 19th 09, 07:15 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 5
Posted By james
Best way to extract single frames from an MPG movie file

It seems like the camera ought to be able to do a better job of the
stills, though. The movies came out quite good, but the stills were a
blurry smudge. Maybe I just don't know how to work...
Forum: Digital Photography May 19th 09, 04:13 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 323
Posted By james
grim news for photographers tourism and rights

The case was thrown out:
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Greek_photographer_Tube_photo_case_thrown_out_news_282766.html

Thank god the judge can still reason.

A few months ago a...
Forum: Digital Photography March 29th 09, 04:51 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 17
Posted By james
nikon DSLR has less high ISO noise?

Many recent reviews say nikon DSLR has better noise reduction than canon
DSLR in high ISO photos.

Why isn't canon doing something about this? This has been going on for more
than a year.
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras February 24th 09, 04:20 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 14
Posted By james
Why wireless file transmitter cost so much?

I'm interested in a wireless file transmitter for the EOS, but the price is
shockingly high.
The WFT-E3A is selling for $760 via mail order. What's worse, it only works
on the 40D and 50D, not the...
Forum: Digital Photography January 12th 09, 10:34 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 84
Posted By james
What's the best photo editor for non-professional?

I'd like to start learning how to do some basic photo editing.

A friend of mine who does a lot of digital photography has Photoshop.

If you think you might eventually need photoshop, then...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 30