Showing results 1 to 25 of 36
Search took 0.65 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Howard Lester
Forum: In The Darkroom May 29th 09, 08:01 PM Posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Replies: 29
Posted By Howard Lester
Safelight bulbs??

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote

1.) When responding, the responder should delete all unnecessary material
from the post to which he is responding. Usually, retaining only the
context needed to...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment February 19th 09, 02:14 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 13
Posted By Howard Lester
Old Packard Shutter

"David Nebenzahl" wrote

Gawd, I remember pasting those damn things in those little books for my
mom, pages and pages of 'em. Those and the other "off brand" ones, what
were they? Oh, yeah,...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment February 18th 09, 09:15 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 13
Posted By Howard Lester
Old Packard Shutter

"David Nebenzahl" wrote

What size V8 engine is in your Packard? I "shutter" to think about the
low gas mileage.... ;-)

But gas is only 17 cents a gallon ...

Ah, yes, and let me wash...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment February 18th 09, 03:12 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 13
Posted By Howard Lester
Old Packard Shutter

"John J" wrote

You mean you're not selling it for $14.50? ;-)

Uh, gee! Maybe yer right. Only fair, ya know. So, how about selling me
your house at its 1955 price? And I'll sell you the...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment December 6th 08, 05:09 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 19
Posted By Howard Lester
Getting into large format photography

"John J" wrote

I respect the Graphics for what they can do well. Occasionally I will use
a Super Techika for a hand-held shot. If one wants the most simple LF with
no movements, then...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment December 6th 08, 12:25 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 19
Posted By Howard Lester
Getting into large format photography

"John J" wrote

I too second the emotion of looking for a Crown Graphic,

As a university instructor I must disagree -IF the student is assigned to
a large format project which requires...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment December 2nd 08, 10:19 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 19
Posted By Howard Lester
Getting into large format photography

"biznets" wrote

What make and model of a large format camera would you recomend for a
young student wishing to take his first steps into this format?

How young? My first thought is a used...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment September 20th 08, 11:32 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 5
Posted By Howard Lester
Case for 4x5 film holders out there?

"LGLA" wrote

Can't seem to find the right case. I have 12 holders, who makes a nylon,
rectangular zipper top case with a strap?

Along the line of what Lawrence suggested, I have a canvas...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment June 15th 08, 06:21 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 17
Posted By Howard Lester
Exposure calculation

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote

(Extension tubes on a large format camera ... that is a first.)

He(?)'s using them on a 645, not LF. But yeah, on LF that'd be something.
;-)
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment June 9th 08, 02:09 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 17
Posted By Howard Lester
Exposure calculation

"MangroveRoot" wrote

If the lenses you use for your 645 are attached directly to the body, and
especially if your 645 has a built in TTL meter, the answer is "no." If
your lens attaches...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment June 7th 08, 02:16 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 17
Posted By Howard Lester
Exposure calculation

"MangroveRoot" wrote

Would I be right in the belief that this question, and the solutions to
it,
would be applicable to formats other than "large",
should one care to do such a thing?

If...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment April 17th 08, 12:21 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 17
Posted By Howard Lester
Exposure calculation

"Max Perl" wrote

Then it must be this one?

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/CC9201/

That's it!
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment April 16th 08, 08:25 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 17
Posted By Howard Lester
Exposure calculation

"Max Perl" wrote

When you use a view camera for macro work you have long extention on the
bellows.
You then need to compensate for the lost light to calculate a proper
exposure.
Does...
Forum: Film & Labs November 2nd 07, 01:26 PM Posted to rec.photo.film+labs
Replies: 8
Posted By Howard Lester
is fuji velvia 100f really bad?

"Bill Tuthill" wrote

I may be misunderstanding something, but I find Provia 100F the most
neutral
film I've ever used. Part of that means that it does NOT go blue in the
shade,...
Forum: Film & Labs November 2nd 07, 12:47 AM Posted to rec.photo.film+labs
Replies: 8
Posted By Howard Lester
is fuji velvia 100f really bad?

"Bill Tuthill" wrote

Provia 100F has weak yellow response, which makes it go blue easily
in cold and shade; also yellow-greens of mediterranean vegetation
are poorly rendered. (You can think...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment October 27th 07, 11:44 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 7
Posted By Howard Lester
Good camera for first time photographer

"debquist" wrote

My daughter, 16 year old, wants to join the photography club and needs
a camera. I am absolutely clueless about which camera to buy. Would
any of your kind people gives me...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment October 13th 07, 02:34 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 15
Posted By Howard Lester
Processing

wrote

Just picked up some film from the lab yesterday. I was a
bit surprised to find them now charging $3.95 a sheet
for 4x5 E6. Sigh.

Here in Tucson, AZ it's still $1.80 a...
Forum: Film & Labs September 5th 07, 03:50 AM Posted to rec.photo.film+labs
Replies: 2
Posted By Howard Lester
Moon Photography

"That_Rich" wrote

The moon is lit by sunlight. Therefore, the sunny 16 rule applies
(bracket your exposures).

The sunny 16 rule applies only at the moon's full phase. (Since the OP...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment June 14th 07, 01:47 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 12
Posted By Howard Lester
Best portrait lens focal length

"Colyn" wrote

I've been trying out the 210 and 250mm lens with a Polaroid back for
quick shots and so far the 210 has won out for portrait head and
shoulder shots taken from 4 ft. The 250...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment May 23rd 07, 03:20 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 12
Posted By Howard Lester
Question from a non-lf user.

Ric,

I went to 4x5 in 1989 and never looked back. Two reasons: clarity with a
life-like quality to my 20x24" prints, and the availability of camera
movements to give me the focal plane that *I*...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment March 29th 07, 02:07 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 17
Posted By Howard Lester
Air Travel with LF Camera

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote

It is really hopeless. Perhaps we should spend more time making less
enemies
instead of wasting so much time putting band-aids on things.

I don't disagree with you...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment March 28th 07, 03:18 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 17
Posted By Howard Lester
Air Travel with LF Camera

specialty film should be hand inspected at the
security checkpoint. To facilitate hand-inspection, remove your
undeveloped film from the canister and pack in a clear plastic bag."

But of...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment March 28th 07, 01:30 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 17
Posted By Howard Lester
Air Travel with LF Camera

"mike odonoghue" wrote

The equipment used to screen checked baggage will damage undeveloped film.
Pack your undeveloped film in your carry-on bag. High speed and specialty
film should be...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment February 23rd 07, 01:51 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 37
Posted By Howard Lester
Digital vs Scanners??

"Gregory Blank" wrote

Amaries R where weapons are stored :)

Ohhhhhh.... yeah! They have a park here in downtown named after that place!

;-)
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment February 23rd 07, 12:14 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Replies: 37
Posted By Howard Lester
Digital vs Scanners??

"Gregory Blank" wrote

I imagine some armatures *have* gone up in flames.... ;-)

R those knot R Maries ?

Hmmm... I don't get the joke (for once).

But somewhat more on topic, I'm grateful...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 36