Showing results 1 to 25 of 125
Search took 0.22 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Bill Tuthill
Forum: Digital Photography January 13th 08, 07:58 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 7
Posted By Bill Tuthill
Exif Metadata in JPEG2000: Request for Comments

Thomas Richter wrote:
Question 1: I often hear the claim that "JPEG2000 has Exif issues".
Would you believe that this is a serious market demand, and a serious
problem why JPEG2000 did not gain...
Forum: Digital Photography December 28th 07, 06:23 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 6
Posted By Bill Tuthill
What brands have flip-out rotatable LCDs?

Alfred Molon wrote:

There is the Olympus E3 with such an LCD, but it is not a P&S. For
compactness reasons such flip out rotatable screens are a rarity these
days in P&S cameras (at least...
Forum: Digital Photography December 19th 07, 07:09 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 11
Posted By Bill Tuthill
Your opinion -Canon 18-55 f3.5 -5.6 kit lens owners

Dave Cohen wrote

No Joe, you don't know Bill. But you and I and no doubt everyone else
knows someone like Bill. Prior to your post I was going to ask if Bill
actually owned the lens.

A...
Forum: Digital Photography December 18th 07, 08:01 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 11
Posted By Bill Tuthill
Your opinion -Canon 18-55 f3.5 -5.6 kit lens owners

asdf3b wrote:
Greetings! Does any one have any opinion on this kit lens? With thanks.

It sux -- much worse than the Nikon and Pentax equivalents --
but Canon owners will tell you it's acceptable.
Forum: Digital Photography December 8th 07, 06:03 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 2
Posted By Bill Tuthill
Image Compression Benchmark

Sachin Garg wrote:

I have put up for review the Jpeg'ed version of images I have picked
till now,
http://www.sachingarg.com/temp/thumbs.jpg

I applaud your effort. Probably comparisons...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment December 7th 07, 05:50 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.misc
Replies: 790
Posted By Bill Tuthill
DSLR vs P&S a replay of Film vs Digital?

David Littlefield wrote:
The Minolta Way.

Tony Polson wrote:

But most digicams' electronic viewfinders have been stuck at 0.3 MP
for several years now. In spite of Konica Minolta's 0.92...
Forum: Digital Photography December 7th 07, 05:50 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.misc
Replies: 1,067
Posted By Bill Tuthill
DSLR vs P&S a replay of Film vs Digital?

David Littlefield wrote:
The Minolta Way.

Tony Polson wrote:

But most digicams' electronic viewfinders have been stuck at 0.3 MP
for several years now. In spite of Konica Minolta's 0.92...
Forum: Digital Photography December 4th 07, 07:15 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 8
Posted By Bill Tuthill
Canon EF-S 18-55mm poor performance at wide angle settings

flambe wrote:
The Canon 18-55 has always been the worst performing kit dSLR lens from a
major vendor. It has been the lens used for every demonstration of chromatic
aberration I can recall...
Forum: Digital Photography December 4th 07, 07:12 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 16
Posted By Bill Tuthill
Looking for a good small camera for stage shots

Any Fuji Finepix digicam with SuperCCD should provide
high-ISO shots almost as good as a top-quality DSLR.
For example, F31fd.

Rock wrote:
Rock wrote:
HI,

I need a camera that would be...
Forum: Digital Photography December 1st 07, 08:12 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 23
Posted By Bill Tuthill
Adobe Bicubic Smoother upsize vs Genuine Fractals

wrote:

Like Bill (and the name-changing moron) I find Lanczos gives the best
results generally, but when you get the sort of stair-stepping that
Scott's example...
Forum: Digital Photography November 30th 07, 06:57 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 23
Posted By Bill Tuthill
Adobe Bicubic Smoother upsize vs Genuine Fractals

Scott W wrote:

I seem to have more problems with Lanczos, using IrfanView.

Here are my test images, the 1000 x 1000 image was my starting image, I
down sided to 345 x 345 pixels in both...
Forum: Digital Photography November 30th 07, 06:54 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 23
Posted By Bill Tuthill
Adobe Bicubic Smoother upsize vs Genuine Fractals

trent kingston wrote:
Bottom line: I think Adobe Bicubic Smoother is fine for most purposes,
and wouldn't bother with Genuine Fractals except for very large upsizing.

Nice work, but...
Forum: Digital Photography November 29th 07, 07:52 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 23
Posted By Bill Tuthill
Adobe Bicubic Smoother upsize vs Genuine Fractals

John Navas wrote:
Here's a comparison of Adobe Bicubic Smoother resizing in current
versions of Photoshop against Genuine Fractals v5...

Forum: Digital Photography November 20th 07, 03:40 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 5
Posted By Bill Tuthill
Pentax K10D vs Canon 40D

Dave wrote:
about a year ago I was very interested in the Pentax K10D, but after
comparing the photos with other cameras, I didn't want it because
the photos didn't look...
Forum: Digital Photography November 19th 07, 08:42 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.misc
Replies: 1,067
Posted By Bill Tuthill
DSLR vs P&S a replay of Film vs Digital?

In rec.photo.digital Tony Polson wrote:

There are far better digital point and shoot cameras than the
Panasonic from the point of view of noise. Notable examples include
the...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment November 19th 07, 08:42 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.misc
Replies: 790
Posted By Bill Tuthill
DSLR vs P&S a replay of Film vs Digital?

In rec.photo.digital Tony Polson wrote:

There are far better digital point and shoot cameras than the
Panasonic from the point of view of noise. Notable examples include
the...
Forum: Digital Photography November 16th 07, 08:54 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 1
Posted By Bill Tuthill
Hundertwasser

TT wrote:
a gallery dedicated to him in my photo web site in signature.
Please visit.
http://trincone.altervista.org

Beautiful, thanks! Hundertwasser is one of my favorite...
Forum: Digital Photography November 16th 07, 08:52 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 5
Posted By Bill Tuthill
Which P&S cameras have biggest CCD sensor?

Abertech wrote:
Do all consumer digital cameras use the same sized sensor? If not,
does anyone know which brands or models offer the largest sensor
available in a p&s...
Forum: Digital Photography November 16th 07, 08:48 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 1,067
Posted By Bill Tuthill
DSLR vs P&S a replay of Film vs Digital?

Daniel Silevitch wrote:

With the right software, RAW adds precisely zero extra work. I use
Apple's Aperture, and Adobe's Lightroom does the same thing. I can shoot
in...
Forum: Digital Photography November 16th 07, 08:15 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 1,067
Posted By Bill Tuthill
DSLR vs P&S a replay of Film vs Digital?

David J Taylor wrote:

The recommended DSLR workflow seems like a huge chore, not a fun
hobby, with RAW mode and the continual...
Forum: Digital Photography November 16th 07, 08:11 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 1,067
Posted By Bill Tuthill
DSLR vs P&S a replay of Film vs Digital?

Matt Ion wrote:

Douglas wrote:
No mirror slap must account for at least 2 stops...

HAHAHAH, that's a good one. Funniest thing I've read all week.

Definitely one...
Forum: Digital Photography November 16th 07, 08:06 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 1,067
Posted By Bill Tuthill
DSLR vs P&S a replay of Film vs Digital?

SMS ???????????? ??? wrote:

DSLR partisans seem like the defenders of film, because
they don't have a lot of firm evidence that their workflow
is superior,...
Forum: Digital Photography November 16th 07, 08:01 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 1,067
Posted By Bill Tuthill
DSLR vs P&S a replay of Film vs Digital?

Pete D wrote:

Oh yes and the small Pentaxes are not smaller than the small Olys
like the 410/510.

I didn't know about the 410, having started ignoring Olympus 4/3
over a year...
Forum: Digital Photography November 16th 07, 07:52 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 1,067
Posted By Bill Tuthill
DSLR vs P&S a replay of Film vs Digital?

Peter Irwin wrote:

Ever see a truly talented craftsman, regardless of the
craft, who *did* *not* have a set of the best tools he
could afford?

Edward Weston used a $5...
Forum: Digital Photography November 16th 07, 01:49 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 1,067
Posted By Bill Tuthill
DSLR vs P&S a replay of Film vs Digital?

Kinon O'Cann wrote:
What flame wars? What's to discuss? For some uses and needs you use one
tool. Other times, you use another tool. What controversy?
What, exactly, do you see...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 125