Showing results 1 to 25 of 125
Search took 0.22 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Andrew MacPherson
Forum: Digital Photography September 20th 08, 06:43 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 59
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
New High-End Canon Cameras Announced

(dwight) wrote:

Your S1 is still working?

Yes, probably because I stopped using it regularly two years ago. :-)

Andrew McP
Forum: Digital Photography September 17th 08, 09:37 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 59
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
New High-End Canon Cameras Announced

(Stephen Henning) wrote:

The SX10 has a EVF as well as a 2.5" LCD. It weighs 19.8 oz.

Most importantly the S10 has a decent resolution EVF. At last!!!!!
Ideally I'd like...
Forum: Digital Photography September 7th 08, 06:24 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 5
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
Olympus xD H series - 2gb available for SP570UZ?

(DudeBoyz) wrote:

I almost got the Canon S5 but the EVF in that is very blocky

Yes. I started out with an S1, and I loved that camera... except for its
EVF. Bl**dy awful,...
Forum: Digital Photography September 6th 08, 11:11 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 5
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
Olympus xD H series - 2gb available for SP570UZ?

(DudeBoyz) wrote:

My camera is currently using an Olympus brand M series 2gb xD
card with no problems, but it does seem a bit slow.

Sadly xd is just slow, full stop. The...
Forum: Digital Photography September 6th 08, 11:07 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 6
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
Recommended mAh for Oly SP570UZ?

(DudeBoyz) wrote:

Thanks much. I'm a bit dense, so need this stuff drilled into my
head with repeated confirmation... :)

I'm a bit of a slow learner myself, so I...
Forum: Digital Photography September 6th 08, 10:02 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 6
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
Recommended mAh for Oly SP570UZ?

(DudeBoyz) wrote:

Is there any sort of limitation regard?

The mAh rating is a measure of capacity, not output. So you'll be fine
with any rating.

Anyway, after initial...
Forum: Digital Photography August 10th 08, 10:43 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 69
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
SLRs banned at Olympics

(Chris Malcolm) wrote:

It's like a kind of luminous applause.

That's rather nicely put. In future I shall find it slightly less
annoying. Thanks for altering my perceptions...
Forum: Digital Photography April 7th 08, 09:25 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 33
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
I've changed my mind about AA batteries.

kilbyfan@aoldotcom (just bob) wrote:

Wait until you buy a flash: You are going to need AA batts still!

I have 20, I don't think I'm going to run out of batteries in a hurry.
:-)

Andrew McP
Forum: Digital Photography April 7th 08, 11:50 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 33
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
I've changed my mind about AA batteries.

(Ron Hunter) wrote:

Almost every picture at an airshow will have the
subject more than 50 feet away from the camera, which means you
wouldn't be using the AF at all, as...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras April 7th 08, 08:59 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 12
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
Pentax K20D or Canon 40D or Canon XSI

(Steve Sherman) wrote:

Go to the store and hold them in your hand

I agree. My recent move away from Pentax was made because I wanted
optimum AF performance in action...
Forum: Digital Photography April 7th 08, 08:44 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 33
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
I've changed my mind about AA batteries.

All my digital cameras until recently were AA for a combination of
convenience, interoperability, and the ability to use disposables in an
emergency. And, in general, I've been pleased with the AA...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras March 16th 08, 10:00 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 25
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
Space Shuttle Endeavor Launch 11mar08 [OT]

(thepixelfreak) wrote:

Try the Large Hadron Collider at CERN.

Technically (and philosophically), yes. It's a very exciting project...
almost as exciting as fusion in a test tube! (I...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras March 16th 08, 09:37 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 25
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
Space Shuttle Endeavor Launch 11mar08 [drifted off topic, sorry]

(Wolfgang Weisselberg) wrote:

There are no "sustainable economics".

Ok, the economics of sustainability; my poor phrasing. I'm aware of all
sides of the debate, I just...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras March 15th 08, 07:54 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 25
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
Space Shuttle Endeavor Launch 11mar08

(Chris Savage) wrote:

http://www.pdnpulse.com/2008/03/liftoff-on-wire.html

Interesting link, thanks.

Andrew McP
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras March 14th 08, 10:40 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 25
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
Space Shuttle Endeavor Launch 11mar08

(Sinner) wrote:

Damn, another oil conspiracy theorist.

No, just someone with an interest in sustainable economics.

Andrew McP
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras March 14th 08, 03:53 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 25
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
Space Shuttle Endeavor Launch 11mar08

(Sinner) wrote:

hope that a space launch isn't the pinnacle.

I'm a pessimist. Peak oil is arriving faster than the alternatives (none
of which supply energy in a...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras March 14th 08, 03:53 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 25
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
Space Shuttle Endeavor Launch 11mar08

(Dave Devine) wrote:

Just a great experience.

I'm sure it is. I'm not a big traveller (I never got the hang of moving
faster than I can run), but if anything were to get...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras March 14th 08, 03:53 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 25
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
Space Shuttle Endeavor Launch 11mar08

(Buy_Sell) wrote:

Wow, where was that guy standing to get that shot?

Your guess is as good as mine! :-) Given the website I suspect it's an
official photographer working...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras March 14th 08, 09:12 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 25
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
Space Shuttle Endeavor Launch 11mar08

(Buy_Sell) wrote:

Not much to see here, folks.

There's a little more to be seen here...

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras February 9th 08, 10:24 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 8
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
Canon EF 75-300mm USM III f/4-5.6 Lens v/s. Tamron AF 70-300mm Di f/4-5

(dwight) wrote:

Like I say, if I had it to do over again, I would have waited
until I could have plunked the $1300 down on that 100-400

Thanks for your thoughts...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras February 9th 08, 10:30 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 8
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
Canon EF 75-300mm USM III f/4-5.6 Lens v/s. Tamron AF 70-300mm Di f/4-5

(dwight) wrote:

I rented the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L for a month
(http://www.tfrog93.com/digitals/lenses/100_400L/100_400L.htm) and
was very sorry to return it and go back...
Forum: Digital Photography January 17th 08, 02:51 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 12
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
Pentax K10D aand K100D cameras

(John Turco) wrote:

it seems I was plagued by a
momentary "brain outage." :-P

I've had a "brain outage" for about 44 years. Only occasional moments of
lucidity allow me to...
Forum: Digital Photography January 6th 08, 08:34 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 12
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
Pentax K10D aand K100D cameras

(John Turco) wrote:

I haven't noticed any noise issues, with my K100D, and I've shot
exclusively in JPEG.

Noise as in sound, not noise as in noise! ;-) I've no complaints...
Forum: Digital Photography January 1st 08, 07:29 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 12
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
Pentax K10D aand K100D cameras

(Richard Wrigley) wrote:

I am considering whether to buy either a K100D or a K10D Pentax

Steve B's fairly comprehensive reply sounds pretty well balanced to...
Forum: Digital Photography November 29th 07, 09:45 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 1
Posted By Andrew MacPherson
Olympus SP-550/560 Comments?

(Mike Dobony) wrote:

Any comments on either of these 2 cameras?

I have the 550 and it takes very good (non-action) pictures. The macro is
particularly good. However...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 125