Showing results 1 to 25 of 125
Search took 4.03 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: timeOday
Forum: Digital Photography September 14th 08, 04:25 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 80
Posted By timeOday
12mp vs 24mp - so what?

ray wrote:
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 18:47:12 +1200, missfocus wrote:

Studio shot comparison 12mp vs 24 mp dx/fx comparison here 100% pixel
view.
More pixels is a big deal huh?
zzzzzzz.
Forum: Digital Photography September 10th 08, 09:28 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 29
Posted By timeOday
our beautiful granddaughter

Paul Furman wrote:
Robert Coe wrote:
On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 01:53:07 +0100, "eugene" wrote:
: : "Robert Coe" wrote in message :
Forum: Digital Photography September 7th 08, 03:19 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 39
Posted By timeOday
Grey card for accurate colours

tony cooper wrote:

Someone may correct me here, but I'm under the impression that using
the gray card, or any other device to set the white balance, makes the
image appear *as the object...
Forum: Digital Photography August 27th 08, 05:50 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 0
Posted By timeOday
How to beat the diffraction limit

Well, at least for those telephoto desert shots:

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/technology/2008/08/shimmer-vision-binoculars-see-further.html
Forum: Digital Photography August 23rd 08, 07:03 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 16
Posted By timeOday
10 fps versus 5 fps

Mardon wrote:
I noticed another thread where it was suggested that 5 fps is just as good
as 10 fps. The URL below points to a 10 fps sequence of "The Crazy
Canuck" that could probably be...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment August 21st 08, 07:32 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 10
Posted By timeOday
AN OLDIE BUT A GOODIE!

Mark Thomas wrote:
JimKramer wrote:
On Aug 21, 7:08 am, Mark Thomas
wrote:
jimkramer wrote:
"Annika1980" wrote in message
Forum: Digital Photography August 21st 08, 07:32 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 10
Posted By timeOday
AN OLDIE BUT A GOODIE!

Mark Thomas wrote:
JimKramer wrote:
On Aug 21, 7:08 am, Mark Thomas
wrote:
jimkramer wrote:
"Annika1980" wrote in message
Forum: Digital Photography August 10th 08, 04:37 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 10
Posted By timeOday
Photo Store

Cynicor wrote:
BlackShadow wrote:

429 quid for a 80GB device?

You can get a 160GB iPod for far less.

And you can get a 160GB player by several other brands for far less than
the...
Forum: Digital Photography August 4th 08, 06:18 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 35
Posted By timeOday
DSLR and P&S Smackdown

saycheez wrote:
Is there any avid photographer who has a high end P&S and a dSLR who has
not compared essentially identical images from the two cameras?
I began doing this with my late lamented...
Forum: Digital Photography July 31st 08, 09:54 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 3
Posted By timeOday
Equivalent of "opening 1 or more stop" in post processing?

peter wrote:
In photoshop if you want to approximate the effect of increasing exposure by
1 or more stops, do you adjust the contrast alone, or gamma as well? If you
have to adjust gamma,...
Forum: Digital Photography July 31st 08, 09:46 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 79
Posted By timeOday
Unfortunate for P&S

measekite wrote:
Many point and shoot cameras including Canon are being released with
nice features and wider to longer zoom lenses but without viewfinders.
Being sold with larger 3" LCDs, the...
Forum: Digital Photography July 27th 08, 11:40 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Replies: 36
Posted By timeOday
Tracking jet fighters with sonar

Dudley Hanks wrote:

My Canon A720 did a good job focusing on the little dots, even though they
sometimes got up to 1000 kilometers an hour.

You don't have to focus at that distance, just set...
Forum: Digital Photography July 21st 08, 05:26 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 12
Posted By timeOday
dpreview pixel density metric

David J. Littleboy wrote:
"timeOday" wrote:
Dpreview only lists ISO and provides jpegs to assess, there's no number
other than highest offered ISO, which is...
Forum: Digital Photography July 21st 08, 03:01 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 12
Posted By timeOday
dpreview pixel density metric

Paul Furman wrote:
timeOday wrote:

I don't see the point of the pixel density metric since dpreview already
measures noise and resolution at different ISO settings. That's what
matters. ...
Forum: Digital Photography July 20th 08, 05:27 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 12
Posted By timeOday
dpreview pixel density metric

David J Taylor wrote:

(Even if they did it as pixel pitch in pixels/mm, it would be easier
to imagine the meaning than pixels/cm^2
Yep!
Pixels/cm^2 is kind of counter intuitive.
A...
Forum: Digital Photography July 16th 08, 11:00 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 1
Posted By timeOday
Drowning in photos

Marvin wrote:

Digital storage is so cheap that I don;t worry much about getting rid of
photos. I only discard are those that are very bad. The rest I keep on
a hard drive, backed up on CDs...
Forum: Digital Photography June 24th 08, 04:37 PM Posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 28
Posted By timeOday
upsizing a cell phone photo?

Ron Hunter wrote:
Chris Pisarra wrote:
Help!

The bad part about being even marginally capable with a camera
and computer is that my friends think I'm a wizard--which I most
Forum: Digital Photography June 12th 08, 05:53 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 7
Posted By timeOday
Nikon D-60

wrote:
Five years ago, just before my Daughters wedding, I bought a Nikon D-100. I've
loved the camera. But now I'm looking at these new D-40 and D-60 models. Besides
the...
Forum: Digital Photography June 6th 08, 11:48 PM Posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 30
Posted By timeOday
pointless scanning negatives over 300 dpi

Pat wrote:

I've been trying to keep out of this, but here goes ....

First off, you have a 2.5 mpx file. Think of it as a camera. Would
you buy a 2.5 mpix camera. (Answer: of course...
Forum: Digital Photography May 26th 08, 04:09 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 9
Posted By timeOday
Recommended size of scratch disk.

pimpom wrote:
I am migrating to another computer with Win XP, 1GB RAM and two
hard disks - a 320GB main drive and a 200GB second drive. Do you
think I will benefit from creating a partition on...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment May 14th 08, 04:57 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 20
Posted By timeOday
crossed polarising filters to reduce light?

I can't comment on the polarizing filters, but couldn't you just put a
piece of cardboard with a hole punched in it over your lens?
Forum: Digital Photography May 14th 08, 04:57 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 22
Posted By timeOday
crossed polarising filters to reduce light?

I can't comment on the polarizing filters, but couldn't you just put a
piece of cardboard with a hole punched in it over your lens?
Forum: Digital Photography April 25th 08, 09:51 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 37
Posted By timeOday
Why no anti theft feature?

bugbear wrote:
peter wrote:
Cameras are one of thieves favorite targets. Yet no camera has
anti-theft feature. Why is that?

What (potential) feature were you thinking of?

Forum: Digital SLR Cameras March 6th 08, 10:03 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 33
Posted By timeOday
Recommended monitor luminance levels?

Kulvinder Singh Matharu wrote:
I've just been calibrating my new printer but during the process I
found recommendations that monitor luminance level should be between
90 cd/m2 and 100 cd/m2.
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment March 6th 08, 10:03 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm