Showing results 1 to 25 of 125
Search took 0.93 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Phil Wheeler
Forum: Digital Photography January 29th 07, 03:19 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 84
Posted By Phil Wheeler
Olympus SP-550 UZ: 18x ultra zoom

J. Clarke wrote:

The Eneloops are designed for low self-discharge. However I have seen
no evidence that they have "*much* lower self-discharge rates than
Li-Ion". Than conventional NiMH,...
Forum: Digital Photography January 28th 07, 08:45 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Replies: 48
Posted By Phil Wheeler
ceramic lens in digital cameras

Cgiorgio wrote:
"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com schrieb im Newsbeitrag
The only place were transparent ceramics is acceptably used in is...
Forum: Digital Photography January 27th 07, 03:11 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 217
Posted By Phil Wheeler
JPEG degradation

jamesnorris wrote:

Wow, what a lot of postings!!!

Indeed: We care so much when it matters the least ;-)

Phil
Forum: Digital Photography January 26th 07, 03:58 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 217
Posted By Phil Wheeler
JPEG degradation

Joan wrote:
I've just done a quick test in Photoshop.
Opened an NEF and saved to jpg. File size 3624KB
Open that jpg and "save as" with compression set to 12. File size
3669KB
Open that...
Forum: Digital Photography January 26th 07, 05:02 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 217
Posted By Phil Wheeler
JPEG degradation

TSKO wrote:
I was reading a photography book by Bryan Peterson and he says something in
it I never knew. He said that opening JPEG's over and over........with time
they will degrade to the...
Forum: Digital Photography January 24th 07, 09:58 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 8
Posted By Phil Wheeler
(8 GB) SDHC in Canon Powershot S3 IS

name wrote:

On Jan 24, 5:32 pm, Phil Wheeler wrote:
name wrote:

On Jan 24, 1:08 pm, "Cgiorgio" wrote:
Absolutely no chance - The S2IS is...
Forum: Digital Photography January 24th 07, 04:32 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital

name wrote:

On Jan 24, 1:08 pm, "Cgiorgio" wrote:
Absolutely no chance - The S2IS is using the FAT, not FAT32 file system.
Furthermore you will not even be able to slide...
Forum: Digital Photography January 23rd 07, 02:40 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 14
Posted By Phil Wheeler
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX07 - noise problems

SimonLW wrote:
"BuzzyBee" wrote in message
I have read many reviews about the noise problems with the 7.1MP
Forum: Digital Photography January 23rd 07, 10:22 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 14
Posted By Phil Wheeler
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX07 - noise problems

Toby wrote:
"Little Juice Coupe" wrote in message
If you want low light never go for a point and shoot. They have too...
Forum: Digital Photography January 23rd 07, 10:14 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital

Toby wrote:
"Little Juice Coupe" wrote in message
If you want low light never go for a point and shoot. They have too...
Forum: Digital Photography January 23rd 07, 10:09 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital

Toby wrote:
"Little Juice Coupe" wrote in message
If you want low light never go for a point and shoot. They have too...
Forum: Digital Photography January 20th 07, 03:16 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 44
Posted By Phil Wheeler
Canon's new 70-300 USM IS DO lens

Bill Tuthill wrote:
Phil Wheeler wrote:
Actually the new 70-300/4-5.6 IS weighs less, it's just longer.
At half the price I don't see that it's a tough decision,...
Forum: Digital Photography January 18th 07, 10:05 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 44
Posted By Phil Wheeler
Canon's new 70-300 USM IS DO lens

Bill Tuthill wrote:
Phil Wheeler wrote:
That isn't a new lens by any means.
The (actually relatively) new 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM lens is a far
better...
Forum: Digital Photography January 18th 07, 10:01 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 44
Posted By Phil Wheeler
Canon's new 70-300 USM IS DO lens

Bill Funk wrote:

I "walk around" (hike/tramp/trek) with a 20D,
17-85IS and 70-300 DO IS .. unless I get lazy and
use smaller equipment (S3 IS for example).

Phil

Which...
Forum: Digital Photography January 18th 07, 03:39 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 44
Posted By Phil Wheeler
Canon's new 70-300 USM IS DO lens

jmc wrote:
Suddenly, without warning, John Ortt exclaimed (17-Jan-07 8:47 PM):
The amount of flare is a concern - if I'm doing a landscape shot of the
desert hereabouts, for example, with...
Forum: Digital Photography January 18th 07, 03:44 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 44
Posted By Phil Wheeler
Canon's new 70-300 USM IS DO lens

Bill Funk wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:06:29 -0800, Phil Wheeler
wrote:

jmc wrote:
Suddenly, without warning, Bill Funk exclaimed (18-Jan-07 1:38 AM):

Forum: Digital Photography January 17th 07, 09:07 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,uk.rec.photo.misc
Replies: 31
Posted By Phil Wheeler
Does it matter where the camera is assembled?

gowanoh wrote:
Where the camera is made is not what should influence your decision on what
to buy.

Unless it was assembled in a gravel quarry or some
such ;-)

Phil
Forum: Digital Photography January 17th 07, 09:06 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital

jmc wrote:
Suddenly, without warning, Bill Funk exclaimed (18-Jan-07 1:38 AM):

That isn't a new lens by any means.
The (actually relatively) new 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM lens is a far
Forum: Digital Photography January 17th 07, 08:52 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 44
Posted By Phil Wheeler
Canon's new 70-300 USM IS DO lens

Bill Tuthill wrote:
Phil Wheeler wrote:
Not all that new: I've been using a 70-300 DO IS
for over two years.

That's what I thought, it's not new at all.

I...
Forum: Digital Photography January 17th 07, 04:56 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 7
Posted By Phil Wheeler
Casio vs. Canon

Wait for test reviews. 7x optical in such a
confined space is likely to have compromises.

Phil

wrote:
So far my heart has been set on the SD800is, but wwith this...
Forum: Digital Photography January 17th 07, 03:56 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 44
Posted By Phil Wheeler
Canon's new 70-300 USM IS DO lens

jmc wrote:
Does anyone have this lens and can comment on it?

http://buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CN70300DOIS

Seriously considering it, a little concerned that there seems to be
Forum: Digital Photography January 15th 07, 11:43 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 3
F30
Posted By Phil Wheeler
F30

Bill Tuthill wrote:
Rich wrote:
The F30 works well for me in low light. I'm a private investigator
and as long as I can get a picturee of someones face in a dark bar...
Forum: Digital Photography January 9th 07, 02:46 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 64
Posted By Phil Wheeler
Suggestion--keep your camera manual in the bathroom

King Sardon wrote:
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 22:39:08 +0000, Laurence Payne
lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote:

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 22:19:49 GMT, King Sardon
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras January 9th 07, 02:46 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 60

King Sardon wrote:
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 22:39:08 +0000, Laurence Payne
lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote:

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 22:19:49 GMT, King Sardon
Forum: Digital Photography January 9th 07, 02:45 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 158
Posted By Phil Wheeler
For those who think Apple OS security is a non-issue....

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
Randall Ainsworth wrote:

The CPU, Xeon in this case, *IS* the computer. The peripheral
garbage that surrounds it is pretty much irrelevant.

So all a person...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 125