Showing results 1 to 25 of 125
Search took 1.90 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: David Kilpatrick
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 10th 09, 06:25 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 14
Posted By David Kilpatrick
Nikon celebrate 50 years of digital production :-)

http://www.dphotoexpert.com/2009/09/10/spot-the-deliberate-mistake/

It's easy to make mistakes in press releases, but this was quite a funny
one!

David
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 7th 09, 10:14 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 125
Posted By David Kilpatrick
18 megapixels on a 1.6x crop camera - Has Canon gone too far?

Alan Browne wrote:

IOW, where an "image" has particular information, our brains interpret
context to fill in information about what we think we see.

Prof Harald Mante did some excellent...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 7th 09, 05:55 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 125
Posted By David Kilpatrick
18 megapixels on a 1.6x crop camera - Has Canon gone too far?

John A. wrote:

On the other hand, hexagonal sensors would have room for additional
circuitry in the corners. I wonder if hexagonal pixels could work too.
You could have RGB triads instead...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 7th 09, 05:43 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 125
Posted By David Kilpatrick
18 megapixels on a 1.6x crop camera - Has Canon gone too far?

Alan Browne wrote:

Excellent description. This is like a radar with a 1.5 deg beam width
detecting a 10 cm diameter pole half a km away when the beam is 13
meters wide by that point. The...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 7th 09, 03:21 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 125
Posted By David Kilpatrick
18 megapixels on a 1.6x crop camera - Has Canon gone too far?

David Kilpatrick wrote:

I can resolve that - 200 cycles, each
100th being represented by a black line and a metal space - clearly at
18 inches. Increase the viewing distance to 20 inches, and...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 7th 09, 03:11 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 125
Posted By David Kilpatrick
18 megapixels on a 1.6x crop camera - Has Canon gone too far?

Kennedy McEwen wrote:

Your problem is being compounded by your misuse, and possibly
misunderstanding, of the terms "resolve" and "resolution". These have
nothing whatsoever to do with the...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 6th 09, 11:28 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 125
Posted By David Kilpatrick
18 megapixels on a 1.6x crop camera - Has Canon gone too far?

"mcdonaldREMOVE TO ACTUALLY REACH wrote:

Try putting four strings, two metal and two nylon, against
a steel colored background.

Well, that doesn't work anyway if you...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 6th 09, 01:52 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 125
Posted By David Kilpatrick
18 megapixels on a 1.6x crop camera - Has Canon gone too far?

Me wrote:
David Kilpatrick wrote:

Human hair is around 1/1000th of an inch. I don't have much trouble
spotting a single stray hair at 5ft, but it's easier for me around
3ft. Still...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 6th 09, 02:00 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 125
Posted By David Kilpatrick
18 megapixels on a 1.6x crop camera - Has Canon gone too far?

nospam wrote:
In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

This guy thinks that you need 80MP for a highest quality 8x10...
Forum: Digital Photography September 3rd 09, 08:14 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 13
Posted By David Kilpatrick
18 megapixels on a 1.6x crop camera - Has Canon gone too far?

Chris Malcolm wrote:

My cheap radio trigger has full shutter functionality, half and full
press.

Forgot about that - I have the Cactus trigger, works quite well.

David
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 3rd 09, 08:14 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 25

Chris Malcolm wrote:

My cheap radio trigger has full shutter functionality, half and full
press.

Forgot about that - I have the Cactus trigger, works quite well.

David
Forum: Digital Photography September 3rd 09, 12:03 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 13
Posted By David Kilpatrick
18 megapixels on a 1.6x crop camera - Has Canon gone too far?

Chris Malcolm wrote:

I do a lot of pole shooting with my A350, mostly just held overhead on
a monopod, but sometimes over twenty feet up on a window cleaner's
extension pole. If the A380...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 3rd 09, 12:03 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital

Chris Malcolm wrote:

I do a lot of pole shooting with my A350, mostly just held overhead on
a monopod, but sometimes over twenty feet up on a window cleaner's
extension pole. If the A380...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 3rd 09, 11:23 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 25
Posted By David Kilpatrick
18 megapixels on a 1.6x crop camera - Has Canon gone too far?

Miles Bader wrote:

Hmm? The D300(s) VF is 100% @ 0.94x magnification. There are other
cameras with 100% VFs, it's the magnification that seems so unusual about
the 7d (I don't find any VFs...
Forum: Digital Photography September 3rd 09, 01:22 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 13
Posted By David Kilpatrick
18 megapixels on a 1.6x crop camera - Has Canon gone too far?

For what it's worth, I did not like the 50D/500D results much. I know
exactly what Alan means by the softness - it's a kind of vagueness to
the detail, more like a consumer cam even with raw...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 3rd 09, 01:22 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 25
Posted By David Kilpatrick
18 megapixels on a 1.6x crop camera - Has Canon gone too far?

For what it's worth, I did not like the 50D/500D results much. I know
exactly what Alan means by the softness - it's a kind of vagueness to
the detail, more like a consumer cam even with raw...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 2nd 09, 07:02 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 25
Posted By David Kilpatrick
18 megapixels on a 1.6x crop camera - Has Canon gone too far?

Alan Browne wrote:

I've seen several detailed images from the Sony a350, and while okay
noise wise (lower ISO) they were soft in appearance.

The pixel density is very high and there is...
Forum: Digital Photography September 2nd 09, 07:02 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital

Alan Browne wrote:

I've seen several detailed images from the Sony a350, and while okay
noise wise (lower ISO) they were soft in appearance.

The pixel density is very high and there is...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras August 28th 09, 01:17 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 95
Posted By David Kilpatrick
Brand Loyalty - Why?

Mr. Curious wrote:

In fact, I even scrape their name off of any included camera-strap that
might come with a camera.

I just fit nice Dynax straps to new Alphas, to confuse people. I also
put...
Forum: Digital Photography August 28th 09, 01:17 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 107
Posted By David Kilpatrick
Brand Loyalty - Why?

Mr. Curious wrote:

In fact, I even scrape their name off of any included camera-strap that
might come with a camera.

I just fit nice Dynax straps to new Alphas, to confuse people. I also
put...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras August 28th 09, 01:42 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 6
Posted By David Kilpatrick
Nikon D300s Raw File

Rick wrote:
Why do we need a new Adobe Camera Raw if this is the same sensor as
the D300. Does every model require there own - even if they are the
same sensor.

Thanks, Rick

It's not...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras August 27th 09, 12:22 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 9
Posted By David Kilpatrick
D300S early report - sound

eNo wrote:
On Aug 24, 2:54 am, David Kilpatrick wrote:
I have been using the D300S for a few days now. The arrival of ACR 5.5RC
has made a big difference to testing...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras August 26th 09, 01:44 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 9
Posted By David Kilpatrick
D300S early report - sound

RichA wrote:

David Kilpatrick wrote:
wrote:
Er..yeah...For a minute there I thought you was going to mention
something important about this camera.

Sound...
Forum: Digital Photography August 26th 09, 01:29 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 4
Posted By David Kilpatrick
Sony, nothing good since the A900?

Clues for RichA The Troll wrote:

Don't believe me? Take a sharp macro picture of your dirty carpet fibers in
a 50 megapixel image. Submit it for approval. You'll be approved.
Guaranteed....
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras August 26th 09, 12:19 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 9
Posted By David Kilpatrick
D300S early report - sound

wrote:
Er..yeah...For a minute there I thought you was going to mention
something important about this camera.

Sound quality on video is the major concern with this type of...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 125