Showing results 1 to 25 of 30
Search took 0.77 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Happy Traveler
Forum: Digital Photography October 21st 08, 03:41 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 18
Posted By Happy Traveler
unusual supports

Hmm, I would seriously doubt the usefulness of this contraption. With the
exception of macro photography, the main source of blur is not the fraction
of an inch that the camera moves around, but...
Forum: Digital Photography August 10th 08, 01:19 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 5
Posted By Happy Traveler
Guide number for off camera flash

Almost universally, these numbers are quoted for ISO100 -- your flash manual
should confirm that. ISO is the same as the now defunct ASA. So it still
works exactly the same way as you are used to:...
Forum: Digital Photography August 5th 08, 07:25 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 1
Posted By Happy Traveler
The sensor aspect ratio debate...

This sounds like a great idea, but are you willing to pay for it? If you
want to crop a 4:3 or 3:2 image out of the circle, you will be throwing away
about 40% of the precious sensor area. Or are...
Forum: Digital Photography July 31st 08, 06:28 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 79
Posted By Happy Traveler
Unfortunate for P&S

Can't speak for all P&S brands and models, but I found the optical
viewfinders that some of them provide almost totally useless: tiny, poor
optical quality, and above all, grossly mismatched to the...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras June 13th 08, 10:24 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 14
Posted By Happy Traveler
Took the plunge

"Peter Irwin" wrote in message

There is a danger of frying some of the electronics in a new camera with
an old flash. Check the voltage with...
Forum: Digital Photography June 13th 08, 10:24 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 19
Posted By Happy Traveler
Took the plunge

"Peter Irwin" wrote in message

There is a danger of frying some of the electronics in a new camera with
an old flash. Check the voltage with...
Forum: Digital Photography March 28th 08, 09:40 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Replies: 14
Posted By Happy Traveler
Micro / Macro question?

Hi Doc,

Seems like your solution would be an 'industrial' type microscope, not the
ones used in medicine. These usually go to the magnification and the working
distances you need. The better ones...
Forum: Digital Point & Shoot Cameras March 28th 08, 09:40 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Replies: 9
Posted By Happy Traveler
Micro / Macro question?

Hi Doc,

Seems like your solution would be an 'industrial' type microscope, not the
ones used in medicine. These usually go to the magnification and the working
distances you need. The better ones...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras March 9th 08, 04:07 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Replies: 61
Posted By Happy Traveler
Whatever happened to Pentax?

I have a Spotmatic SPII -- still in good working order. It's a classic, but
in spite of the catchy name, it only measures some sort of center-weighted
average. Don't believe that the Spotmatic, or...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment March 9th 08, 04:07 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Replies: 45
Posted By Happy Traveler
Whatever happened to Pentax?

I have a Spotmatic SPII -- still in good working order. It's a classic, but
in spite of the catchy name, it only measures some sort of center-weighted
average. Don't believe that the Spotmatic, or...
Forum: Digital Photography March 9th 08, 04:07 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Replies: 47
Posted By Happy Traveler
Whatever happened to Pentax?

I have a Spotmatic SPII -- still in good working order. It's a classic, but
in spite of the catchy name, it only measures some sort of center-weighted
average. Don't believe that the Spotmatic, or...
Forum: Digital Photography February 23rd 08, 05:18 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 8
Posted By Happy Traveler
Buying guide

The days of cheap gas are long gone. Look for 30-35mpg at least. Better yet,
buy a hybrid.
Seriously, you will have to say what kind of photography you do before
anyone can advise how to spend your...
Forum: Digital Photography September 18th 07, 09:06 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 4
Posted By Happy Traveler
Good economical choices for these purposes

I am finding it hard to understand why you want a 10:1 zoom for
architectural and landscape photography - this typically requires a wide
angle. Something does not quite match here.
Post-processing...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras August 26th 07, 06:09 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 59
Posted By Happy Traveler
If all you had was $3,000

5D is probably the only 'affordable' full frame (a sensor equal in size to
35mm film) DSLR on the market. Unless you 'need' a full frame camera, it's
probably not for you.
40D is a very impressive...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras August 17th 07, 12:26 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 59
Posted By Happy Traveler
Sony's new prosumer: Canon going to cringe?

Better amplifiers only help to the point where their noise is no longer
significant, compared to the noise of the sensor itself. Ultimately,
signal/noise ratio is limited by photon quantization...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras August 16th 07, 04:33 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 59
Posted By Happy Traveler
Sony's new prosumer: Canon going to cringe?

A year and a half after acquiring Minolta's photo operation, all that Sony
managed to do was to put their logo on the low-end 5D, with slightly
improved anti-shake and a few more pixels (at the...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras August 10th 07, 12:43 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 8
Posted By Happy Traveler
Visible Dust Swabs

Actually, silicon is not all that fragile. I have a few pieces (unpackaged
integrated circuits) for you to try...
And in any case, you cannot access the sensor, because it's covered with an...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras July 4th 07, 08:23 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 57
Posted By Happy Traveler
Question about shooting in RAW mode..

"just bob" kilbyfan@aoldotcom wrote in message

"the_niner_nation" wrote in message
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras June 17th 07, 09:05 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 6
Posted By Happy Traveler
Too Good to be True?

Roger,
Here is a link to some useful reading material for you:
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo

"Roger" wrote in message...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras June 13th 07, 08:53 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 6
Posted By Happy Traveler
Sensor cleaning

Reminds me of my military days, when I accompanied my commanding officer on
a tour of an optical instrumentation maintenance depot. He opened the tap on
one of their nitrogen tanks, sniffed deeply,...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras May 30th 07, 05:44 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 3
Posted By Happy Traveler
I need advice on the test for focus.

Well, you might have received a much better focused (no pun intended)
response, if your original posting had some details of the equipment you are
using, what you are shooting, how you are...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras May 30th 07, 02:19 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 3
Posted By Happy Traveler
I need advice on the test for focus.

"Actual pixels" means what it says -- one pixel in the image is one pixel on
the monitor. No interpolation taking place, so a good way to judge an image.
But what do you mean by "efficiency"?...
Forum: Large Format Photography Equipment May 26th 07, 08:24 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Replies: 124
Posted By Happy Traveler
B&H puts another local camera store out of business (with my help, unfortunately)

With the states pushing online retailers to collect their sales tax (and
some large retailers already complying), the equation is changing back in
favor of the locals. I priced several carbon fiber...
Forum: Medium Format Photography Equipment May 26th 07, 08:24 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Replies: 122
Posted By Happy Traveler
B&H puts another local camera store out of business (with my help, unfortunately)

With the states pushing online retailers to collect their sales tax (and
some large retailers already complying), the equation is changing back in
favor of the locals. I priced several carbon fiber...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras May 26th 07, 08:24 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Replies: 120