Showing results 1 to 25 of 35
Search took 0.07 seconds.
Forum: Digital Photography October 31st 06, 04:23 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 45
Posted By [email protected]
What make a lens normal ?

Dave Martindale wrote:

It depends on the lens design. The "classical" way of doing this is
mounting all of the lens elements in a rigid barrel with fixed spacing
between...
Forum: Digital Photography October 30th 06, 05:07 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 45
Posted By [email protected]
What make a lens normal ?

Dave Martindale wrote:
writes:

With a pinhole, you can have any "focal length" you want. With a lens,
you find the point of best focus, and then its focal length *is...
Forum: Digital Photography October 29th 06, 06:21 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 45
Posted By [email protected]
What make a lens normal ?

Dave Martindale wrote:

43mm is not the distance from the back of the lens to the sensor. It
is the effective focal length of the lens, which means that the
magnification is...
Forum: Digital Photography October 29th 06, 06:10 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 5
Posted By [email protected]
What's "focus"

Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:

For a book, Time Life did a series on photography many years ago. One
of the volumes was called "The Camera". Many pubic libraries...
Forum: Digital Photography October 27th 06, 05:11 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 5
Posted By [email protected]
What's "focus"

I had never thought of this, because most of my shooting has been done with
a fixed focus camera. But now I am wondering, what (I mean physicaly) make
an image in focus ?

Am I right to assume that...
Forum: Digital Photography October 27th 06, 04:55 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 45
Posted By [email protected]
What make a lens normal ?

Dave Martindale wrote:
There's nothing special about the absolute number "50". It is the
angular relationship between the focal length and the size of the image
circle that...
Forum: Digital Photography October 24th 06, 07:37 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 45
Posted By [email protected]
What make a lens normal ?

Scott W wrote:

Sort of, less bending then a wide angle lens and smaller elements then
a telephoto lens. There is a sweet spot when lenses are the cheapest
to make and...
Forum: Digital Photography October 24th 06, 07:23 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
macro button

Paul Rubin wrote:

What does it do ?
Does it add a little lens behind the current lens ?

I've wondered about that (most cameras have it). My guess is that...
Forum: Digital Photography October 22nd 06, 01:53 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
macro button

I've got a old digital camera (Fuji A201), and it has a "macro" button which
makes the camera able to work at ~ 30 cm, rather than 1 m minimum.

What does it do ?
Does it add a little lens behind the...
Forum: Digital Photography October 15th 06, 12:53 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 8
Posted By [email protected]
Why aren't viewfinder 100%

"Mark²" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote:

opbjects at the edges of the frame. This meant cropping, which to me is a
waste of resolution. Yes, I should have caught it on the...
Forum: Digital Photography October 12th 06, 07:05 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 8
Posted By [email protected]
Why aren't viewfinder 100%

Thanks for everybody who has answered my other threads, I've learned a lot.
Here is another question: Why is it that on most dSLR the viewfinder
does not show 100% of the actual shot ?
Forum: Digital Photography October 10th 06, 06:28 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 39
Posted By [email protected]
When does SLR start to make sense ?

D Russell wrote:

I think that an SLR starts to make sense when you're really committed to
spending a lot more money on your hobby. Since a crappy photographer with a
£2k...
Forum: Digital Photography October 10th 06, 06:22 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 39
Posted By [email protected]
When does SLR start to make sense ?

D Russell wrote:

For me a DSLR would help with manual focus, since i've not yet seen a really
good manual focus on a compact, and taking photos of birds in flight the
Forum: Digital Photography October 10th 06, 06:10 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 12
Posted By [email protected]
How does it work ?

wrote:

That's not correct, unless you're writing about the absolute bottom of
the range digicam.
All digital cameras with an EVF and almost all with a LCD have a
shutter,...
Forum: Digital Photography October 9th 06, 09:38 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 12
Posted By [email protected]
How does it work ?

Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:

D Russell wrote:

With a DSLR you've got a mirror still, usually, at least as I understand it,
which redirects the light from the...
Forum: Digital Photography October 8th 06, 03:43 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 39
Posted By [email protected]
When does SLR start to make sense ?

wrote:

The difference will only become apparent when shooting under less than
ideal situations. Low lighting and/or fast moving subjects will make
for blurry photos on...
Forum: Digital Photography October 8th 06, 03:40 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 49
Posted By [email protected]
APS-C in compact

wrote:

Or maybe we could compromise on a slightly smaller sensor, but still
large enough to have good noise characteristics...

Oh wait, that was what 4/3 was meant to...
Forum: Digital Photography October 8th 06, 06:07 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 39
Posted By [email protected]
When does SLR start to make sense ?

I understand that the bigger sensors in the current SLRs will give a better
image than the sensors in the compacts, but when does the difference start
to show ? And how ?

Say comparing a good...
Forum: Digital Photography October 7th 06, 02:13 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 49
Posted By [email protected]
APS-C in compact

Paul Rubin wrote:
writes:
So this is the answer - a three time, tiny retractable zoom for a FF sensor
(or even APS) would just be slow (tiny maximum...
Forum: Digital Photography October 7th 06, 02:06 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 49
Posted By [email protected]
APS-C in compact

David J Taylor wrote:
Paul Rubin wrote:

The 10x and 12x zooms for APS-C DSLR's are pretty slow also. And most
DSLR users don't...
Forum: Digital Photography October 7th 06, 06:22 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 49
Posted By [email protected]
APS-C in compact

Dave Martindale wrote:

The Amazon photo is for a different camera, the "Stylus Epic Zoom 115".
Though I haven't used that particular one, I have used other Olympus
Stylus...
Forum: Digital Photography October 6th 06, 08:22 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 49
Posted By [email protected]
APS-C in compact

David J Taylor wrote:
wrote:
Do you think there is any chance we'll see APX-C size sensor in
compact digicam ?

Like this...
Forum: Digital Photography October 6th 06, 08:06 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 49
Posted By [email protected]
APS-C in compact

"Protoncek \(ex.SleeperMan\)" wrote:

Why would the lens need to be larger and heavier than an APS film
camera's lens? That's the part I've never understood. Lots...
Forum: Digital Photography October 6th 06, 08:00 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 12
Posted By [email protected]
How does it work ?

I've got a really basic question: Where does the image you get in the LCD
and EVF come from ?

Does it come from the sensor ?
If so, how does the shutter speed works, do they close the shutter,...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras October 6th 06, 06:27 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
retractable zoom

In the compact world (both film and digital) we see a lot of retractable zoom.
Why isn't there any like that in the SLR world ?

I mean, the compact 35mm film had a "sensor" of 24x36mm, so the lens...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 35