Showing results 1 to 25 of 125
Search took 6.55 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Peter Irwin
Forum: Digital Photography September 21st 19, 12:44 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Replies: 114
Posted By Peter Irwin
Camera quality of output summary scores for the top 50 as rated by individually detailed DXO Mark Mobile Reviews

In rec.photo.digital Incubus wrote:

fifteen stops dynamic range. These are, of course, budget films, but easily
available.

Why do you think so? I'm interested if...
Forum: Digital Photography September 21st 19, 12:37 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Replies: 114
Posted By Peter Irwin
Camera quality of output summary scores for the top 50 as rated by individually detailed DXO Mark Mobile Reviews

In rec.photo.digital nospam wrote:
In article , Peter Irwin
wrote:
Prints under normal lighting only have about 5 stops...
Forum: Digital Photography September 19th 19, 11:32 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Replies: 114
Posted By Peter Irwin
Camera quality of output summary scores for the top 50 as rated by individually detailed DXO Mark Mobile Reviews

In rec.photo.digital nospam wrote:
In article , Peter Irwin
wrote:

Why this nonsense? Digital cameras have many real...
Forum: Digital Photography September 19th 19, 10:19 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Replies: 114
Posted By Peter Irwin
Camera quality of output summary scores for the top 50 as rated by individually detailed DXO Mark Mobile Reviews

In rec.photo.digital nospam wrote:

digital has a *much* wider dynamic range than film, which means a much
higher tolerance to exposure mistakes.

Why this nonsense?...
Forum: Digital Photography May 23rd 19, 02:40 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 0
Posted By Peter Irwin
B&H unknowing sold counterfeit Nikon batteries?

RichA wrote:
https://petapixel.com/2019/05/22/bh-is-replacing-a-subpar-i-e-fake-batch-of-nikon-batteries/

So obviously, Nikon didn't sell them to B&H so where did they...
Forum: Digital Photography January 5th 19, 12:04 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 387
Posted By Peter Irwin
Finally got to the point where no new camera holds my interest (waiting for specific offering)

Eric Stevens wrote:

You really should have linear encoding, but there is no reason why the
encoded range should be anything in particular.

If you have linear...
Forum: Digital Photography January 3rd 19, 04:58 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 387
Posted By Peter Irwin
Finally got to the point where no new camera holds my interest (waiting for specific offering)

nospam wrote:
In article , Peter Irwin
wrote:

the issue was that dxo claimed that several cameras which have a 14 bit
Forum: Digital Photography January 2nd 19, 09:18 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 387
Posted By Peter Irwin
Finally got to the point where no new camera holds my interest (waiting for specific offering)

-hh wrote:
nospam wrote:
nope. it's *not* *possible* to resolve 37 stops with a 14 bit adc.

How about an IRL wager to resolve this disagreement? I can...
Forum: Digital Photography July 22nd 16, 03:58 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 9
Posted By Peter Irwin
Slower Tri-X?

Peabody wrote:
Ok, not digital, but many here will know.

I want to try out an old film camera that shoots 120 rolls. No, actually
620, so I will have to...
Forum: Digital Photography January 6th 16, 07:03 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 141
Posted By Peter Irwin
ISO value names are becoming ridiculous

Whisky-dave wrote:

So why change it then, no one really used APEX because there was no reason to.

Some people who liked to do exposure estimation, either to...
Forum: Digital Photography January 6th 16, 05:11 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 141
Posted By Peter Irwin
ISO value names are becoming ridiculous

Sandman wrote:

Absolutely, and it made perfect sense, only it had a value of 0 at ISO 3, far
below any used film and sensors used today.

In the early 60s an EI of 3 (Sv=0)...
Forum: Digital Photography January 6th 16, 03:04 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 141
Posted By Peter Irwin
ISO value names are becoming ridiculous

Sandman wrote:
So with the D5, it can boost its ISO to ISO 3,280,000, and suddenly how ISO is
named is becoming just stupid. We should use EV steps instead:

It would be...
Forum: Digital Photography December 28th 15, 01:38 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 85
Posted By Peter Irwin
Why Drones should be registred...

RichA wrote:

There are a lot of inventions that wouldn't have emerged
as fast as they did if the nanny state existed back
when they were developed.

You mean the way...
Forum: Digital Photography October 25th 15, 11:40 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 17
Posted By Peter Irwin
Light L16

Ken Hart wrote:

Yes, it does. You miss the point, which is that "photography" means
"drawing with light". An inkjet printer draws an image on the paper by
spitting...
Forum: Digital Photography October 20th 15, 08:06 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 70
Posted By Peter Irwin
B&H in hot water again?

Tony Cooper wrote:

It's my impression that Al Jazeera is a well-regarded news source. If
they are considered to be biased about reporting on Jewish-connected
Forum: Digital Photography September 28th 15, 02:33 PM Posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 51
Posted By Peter Irwin
Super Moon eclipse

Davoud wrote:
Davoud:
There was a brief discussion of the term "stargazing" on
sci.astro.amateur. It was agreed that astronomers consider the term to
be baby-talk for...
Forum: Digital Photography September 28th 15, 01:10 PM Posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 51
Posted By Peter Irwin
Super Moon eclipse

Davoud wrote:
nospam:
the point is that someone who is stargazing will be outside.

There was a brief discussion of the term "stargazing" on
sci.astro.amateur. It was...
Forum: Digital Photography September 27th 15, 01:42 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 51
Posted By Peter Irwin
Super Moon eclipse

Ken Hart wrote:

That 8 minute exposure kind of threw me when I first saw it. I have
photos of a full moon, that I shoot using the "Sunny-16" rule (shutter
speed...
Forum: Digital Photography September 8th 15, 12:40 PM Posted to alt.epson.printers,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 85
Posted By Peter Irwin
Epson 3800

Tony Cooper wrote:

It may have been there and you didn't see it. Hannah Glasse's recipe
for jugged hare started "Take your Hare when it is cas'd and make
pudding"....
Forum: Digital Photography August 21st 15, 04:12 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 19
Posted By Peter Irwin
OT Who would have known there were so many bombs?

RichA wrote:
On Thursday, 20 August 2015 17:19:28 UTC-4, Eric Stevens wrote:
https://vimeo.com/135580602

Eric Stevens

More proof that...
Forum: Digital Photography July 27th 15, 06:46 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 297
Posted By Peter Irwin
If you could have any kind of camera (even non-existant ones) what would you choose?

Bill W wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 01:40:57 +0000 (UTC), Peter Irwin
wrote:

Assuming that the UFO is the size of a small manned aircraft, and...
Forum: Digital Photography July 27th 15, 02:40 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 297
Posted By Peter Irwin
If you could have any kind of camera (even non-existant ones) what would you choose?

Bill W wrote:
Let's say you're in the middle of nowhere, and there it is - a once in a
lifetime encounter with a magnificent UFO, but all you have is MF. So
you fire away,...
Forum: Digital Photography June 1st 15, 11:04 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 14
Posted By Peter Irwin
The Lomography Petzval 58 Bokeh Control Art Lens

Bill W wrote:
On 1 Jun 2015 18:06:48 GMT, Sandman wrote:
Forum: Digital Photography May 28th 15, 12:28 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 23
Posted By Peter Irwin
scanning old negatives

nospam wrote:

if the scanner can resolve individual film grains, then it is capturing
*all* of the detail the film holds.

That is true in the sense that if you could...
Forum: Digital Photography May 15th 15, 05:15 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 89
Posted By Peter Irwin
Commercial print resolution about 5 megapixels?

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
nospam wrote:
In article , Peter Irwin
wrote: