Showing results 1 to 25 of 28
Search took 1.44 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: wiyum
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras January 21st 08, 09:18 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 9
Posted By wiyum
Frazier lens

On Jan 21, 12:24*am, Buy_Sell wrote:
I am wondering if anyone understands how the 'frazier lens' works? *It
is supposed to be able to have an incredible depth of field...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras January 20th 08, 05:39 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 26
Posted By wiyum
DSLR for "full auto" shooting of kids? or Point-and-shoot?

On Jan 20, 5:30*am, "dwight" wrote:
"Pete D" wrote in message

"dwight"...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras January 19th 08, 11:27 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Replies: 26
Posted By wiyum
DSLR for "full auto" shooting of kids? or Point-and-shoot?

David,

I shoot my cousins often, and I couldn't imagine doing so with a point
and shoot. If you liked the DSLR just for Christmas, you'll grow to
love one after just two weeks of use. Make the...
Forum: Digital Point & Shoot Cameras January 19th 08, 11:27 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Replies: 18
Posted By wiyum
DSLR for "full auto" shooting of kids? or Point-and-shoot?

David,

I shoot my cousins often, and I couldn't imagine doing so with a point
and shoot. If you liked the DSLR just for Christmas, you'll grow to
love one after just two weeks of use. Make the...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 17th 07, 02:04 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 6
Posted By wiyum
Now that we have high resolution, why isn't "binning" a standard option?

At the sensor level those 4 colour 7um pixels become one monochrome 14um
pixel - and your image reduces to 3Mp.

What would the sensitivity of that monochrome pixel be though? Would
it be the...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 17th 07, 01:53 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 23
Posted By wiyum
Canon 40d question..

We all want different things from our photography kit, and to me, picture
quality is the most important..if the pq on the 40d IS *significantly*
better than the 400d, then I might well upgrade...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras August 29th 07, 06:13 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 10
Posted By wiyum
Concerns about 40D 1st generation

Or buy a Nikon instead. Nikon products seem to have a far higher
chance of working better straight out of the box, even when newly
introduced.

Which was it, the D80 or the D200 that had all...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras February 24th 07, 09:41 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 59
Posted By wiyum
Which dSLR?

Do not pass go. Collect no $200. Buy the Pentax K10D.

It has interchangable focusing screens, and you can get a split prism
screen (www.katzeyeoptics.com if not from Pentax). It uses all of
Pentax's...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras February 23rd 07, 05:30 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 17
Posted By wiyum
Canon 1D MKIII announced!

No. The old flagship model was the EOS 1D mk II. It was the flagship
because (it looks like) it had the highest fps of all the models, even
though it didn't have the most pixels. The new...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment February 23rd 07, 05:30 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 22
Posted By wiyum
Canon 1D MKIII announced!

No. The old flagship model was the EOS 1D mk II. It was the flagship
because (it looks like) it had the highest fps of all the models, even
though it didn't have the most pixels. The new...
Forum: Digital Photography February 23rd 07, 05:30 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 15
Posted By wiyum
Canon 1D MKIII announced!

No. The old flagship model was the EOS 1D mk II. It was the flagship
because (it looks like) it had the highest fps of all the models, even
though it didn't have the most pixels. The new...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras February 22nd 07, 10:37 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 17
Posted By wiyum
Canon 1D MKIII announced!

As impressive as the features are, it appears that Canon has backed
down from full frame in their flagship model. Instead, they've added
yet another sensor size to their lineup. What are they...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment February 22nd 07, 10:37 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 22
Posted By wiyum
Canon 1D MKIII announced!

As impressive as the features are, it appears that Canon has backed
down from full frame in their flagship model. Instead, they've added
yet another sensor size to their lineup. What are they...
Forum: Digital Photography February 22nd 07, 10:37 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 15
Posted By wiyum
Canon 1D MKIII announced!

As impressive as the features are, it appears that Canon has backed
down from full frame in their flagship model. Instead, they've added
yet another sensor size to their lineup. What are they...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras February 22nd 07, 05:53 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 3
Posted By wiyum
Canon 1D MKIII - the most interesting facts

* 10MP (vs 8MP), but with same pixel size (7.2um).

When I read this I assumed there must be an error. Clearly it is
impossible to increase resolution like this without shrinking the
pixels?

Those...
Forum: Digital Photography February 22nd 07, 05:53 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 2
Posted By wiyum
Canon 1D MKIII - the most interesting facts

* 10MP (vs 8MP), but with same pixel size (7.2um).

When I read this I assumed there must be an error. Clearly it is
impossible to increase resolution like this without shrinking the
pixels?

Those...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras February 21st 07, 10:36 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 32
Posted By wiyum
Difference in 100 vs. 200 ISO.

I love my D200, but don't forget Fuji Velvia--it's still a wonderful tool,
and a used Pentax and a couple top notch prime lenses will set you back no
more than $300: ...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras February 21st 07, 03:39 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 4
Posted By wiyum
Lightroom worth it for a non-RAW shooter?

On Feb 20, 8:46 pm, Steven Wandy wrote:
I have been reading about Lightroom. (Currently using PSCS2.)
I rarely shoot RAW format - generally highest quality JPEG that my two
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras February 21st 07, 02:12 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 32
Posted By wiyum
Difference in 100 vs. 200 ISO.

You're both guessing... but he did say he was PLANNING to do long
exposure, low light images. That sounds more to me that he is into
eerie moonlit landscapes or perhaps night seascapes, or...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras February 20th 07, 12:44 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 35
Posted By wiyum
New Parent - DSLR vs Point and Shoot (portability vs quality)

Everyone has given great advice, but I'll throw in my opinion based on
my experiences.

First, it goes without saying that you want a DSLR. Children
(especially as they age) don't stay still for very...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras February 17th 07, 05:07 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 13
Posted By wiyum
28mm lens as "normal" lens on DSLR?

True about the extra half stop to f2.. that would be nice. But mainly,
I'm looking for a lens that is as compact as possible, sharp, and just
slightly wide. Seems like the 28 will do the...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras February 16th 07, 11:03 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 13
Posted By wiyum
28mm lens as "normal" lens on DSLR?

I do exactly this on a Canon 20D, where 28mm is more similar to 45mm
and 35mm is more similar to 56mm. The difference seems slight, but I'd
use a 35mm as a normal if I were using Nikon. The 42mm...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras February 16th 07, 01:32 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 30
Posted By wiyum
Canon's Wide lenses (24mm in particular)

Here's the bone of contention, "Commendable centre frame resolution from the
Canon, less impressive from the Nikon." Less impressive? The example shown
looks like the Nikon is out of focus. ...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras February 16th 07, 12:58 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 30
Posted By wiyum
Canon's Wide lenses (24mm in particular)

One thing I found out is a lot of these results vary depending on which
adapter is used. The accuracy of the adapter is probably more critical than
the lens.

Granted. Given this particular...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras February 16th 07, 11:20 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 30
Posted By wiyum
Canon's Wide lenses (24mm in particular)

To play fair, some reasonable comparisons have in fact been done. You
can find them he

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/

This is a site of lens tests (mostly wides) conducted mostly on...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 28