Showing results 1 to 25 of 125
Search took 0.44 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Dave Martindale
Forum: Digital Photography January 21st 09, 09:20 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 4
Posted By Dave Martindale
Do NiMH batteries leak?

earth9 writes:

I did this too, and now my battery charger isn't working. Is there any
way to clean it up so that it works again for rechargeable batteries?

You...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras December 21st 08, 11:42 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 23
Posted By Dave Martindale
OT Warning to new posters: Change your posting name frequently to confuse net-stalkers.

"HEMI-Powered" writes:
Dave Martindale added these comments in the current discussion du jour

That's my impression to. I've been posting on Usenet under my real
name...
Forum: Digital Photography December 21st 08, 11:42 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 21

"HEMI-Powered" writes:
Dave Martindale added these comments in the current discussion du jour

That's my impression to. I've been posting on Usenet under my real
name...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras December 21st 08, 06:20 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 23
Posted By Dave Martindale
OT Warning to new posters: Change your posting name frequently to confuse net-stalkers.

Chris Malcolm writes:

Like dogs they also don't chase people who don't play with them and
don't run away. That's why I use my real name and make it easy to find
out my...
Forum: Digital Photography December 21st 08, 06:20 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Chris Malcolm writes:

Like dogs they also don't chase people who don't play with them and
don't run away. That's why I use my real name and make it easy to find
out my...
Forum: Digital Photography November 27th 08, 06:39 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 458
Posted By Dave Martindale
Super-Zoom P&S Camera Beats DSLR (again) - Film at 11

Collin Barger writes:

Thinking about it now, and knowing what I do about gemstone facet grinding
(lapidary, another hobby), it wouldn't be too far-fetched to imagine...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras November 27th 08, 06:39 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 318

Collin Barger writes:

Thinking about it now, and knowing what I do about gemstone facet grinding
(lapidary, another hobby), it wouldn't be too far-fetched to imagine...
Forum: Digital Photography November 27th 08, 06:11 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 11
Posted By Dave Martindale
Canon a630 - focusing issue

bugbear writes:

I was (previously) under the impression that macro mode
focusing was a slower, but more reliable, variant
of normal focusing. This appears not...
Forum: Digital Photography November 17th 08, 12:16 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 143
Posted By Dave Martindale
sigma buys foveon

Alfred Molon writes:
In article , nospam says...
is this 'random colour image' an actual photo or something synthesized
Forum: Digital Photography November 15th 08, 06:41 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 11
Posted By Dave Martindale
camera shake - quantifying?

bugbear writes:

Can anyone point me at a reasonable technical
discussion on camera shake in relation
to pixel errors?

The math is pretty simple *if* you have...
Forum: Digital Photography November 13th 08, 11:29 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 71
Posted By Dave Martindale
rec.photo.digital

Steve writes:

DSLR zoom range is analog, i.e., seamless. P&S zoom range
has discrete steps, i.e., not seamless.

Depends on the P&S camera. Some P&S cameras allow you to zoom...
Forum: Digital Photography November 11th 08, 06:20 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 89
Posted By Dave Martindale
P&S V DSLR debate here

"H.S." writes:

Related question, what makes phase detection expensive than contrast
detection?

It requires intercepting some light from the lens before it reaches...
Forum: Digital Photography November 11th 08, 05:21 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 9
Posted By Dave Martindale
Excessive battery drain (when off) on Canon Powershot A60

Al Paca writes:

I Goggled for quite a while and found one reference which hinted at a
design problem with the battery door causing a short. However, I set
the...
Forum: Digital Photography October 2nd 08, 06:19 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 54
Posted By Dave Martindale
Apect ratio and wide screen mode

"J. Clarke" writes:

The standard is actually 1920 x 1200 - an aspect ratio of 1.6:1 (or
16:10).

Perhaps I've missed something, but standard for _what_? Most...
Forum: Digital Photography September 9th 08, 05:40 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 9
Posted By Dave Martindale
Preferred Auto-Focus Mode?

"DudeBoyz" writes:
In look at my camera, I see these four Auto-Focus modes
available:

- Face Detect
- iESP
- SPOT
- AREA

I find that I prefer to use SPOT, because it...
Forum: Digital Photography September 9th 08, 05:35 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 39
Posted By Dave Martindale
Grey card for accurate colours

bugbear writes:
Alan Browne wrote:

At that, since I only use the raw images in editing, I set the
temperature at raw import time.

A triple component...
Forum: Digital Photography September 9th 08, 05:25 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 39
Posted By Dave Martindale
Grey card for accurate colours

Alfred Molon writes:
I have a grey card which according to the manufacturer reflects all
light wavelengths by the same amount.

If I place it next to an object I want to...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 9th 08, 07:58 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 113
Posted By Dave Martindale
Rawzor beta release (lossless raw compression)

writes:
Dave Martindale wrote:
writes:

Wrong. That'd be microlenses, which do a completely different job.

Is there some reason why...
Forum: Digital Photography September 9th 08, 07:58 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 111

writes:
Dave Martindale wrote:
writes:

Wrong. That'd be microlenses, which do a completely different job.

Is there some reason why...
Forum: Digital Photography September 8th 08, 10:15 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 44
Posted By Dave Martindale
Which camera has the best dynamic range?

writes:

With JPEG, taking 2.2 as the typical gamma correction, the ratio is
255^2.2:1, or about 200,000:1.

David, I don't quarrel with your math, but could you...
Forum: Digital Photography September 8th 08, 10:03 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 111
Posted By Dave Martindale
Rawzor beta release (lossless raw compression)

Alan Browne writes:

Please tell us that an AA filter does not blur an image.

Of course it blurs the image, in a particular way (it's not just a
Gaussian blur,...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 8th 08, 10:03 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Alan Browne writes:

Please tell us that an AA filter does not blur an image.

Of course it blurs the image, in a particular way (it's not just a
Gaussian blur,...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 8th 08, 09:55 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

writes:

Wrong. That'd be microlenses, which do a completely different job.

Is there some reason why microlenses don't do anti-aliasing?

They provide some, but not *enough*...
Forum: Digital Photography September 8th 08, 09:55 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

writes:

Wrong. That'd be microlenses, which do a completely different job.

Is there some reason why microlenses don't do anti-aliasing?

They provide some, but not *enough*...
Forum: Digital Photography September 8th 08, 09:23 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 79
Posted By Dave Martindale
archiving of digital photos

writes:

I have a similar arrangement, though there are multiple computers being
backed up. Each computer does an automated backup (Windows backup) to
the home fileserver...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 125