Showing results 1 to 25 of 71
Search took 0.24 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Mike Coon
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras March 2nd 08, 11:08 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 33
Posted By Mike Coon
Interesting comparison (300D/40D)

David J. Littleboy wrote:
Anyway, "DR" is a property of individual pixels, ...
... DR should be measured on an un-postprocessed signal

So is DR a property of a single pixel (presumably within...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras February 13th 08, 10:19 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 27
Posted By Mike Coon
Photographic bight shiny objects?

Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
Mike Coon mjcoon@ wrote:
Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
Polarizers only work on non-metallic reflecting surfaces,
which silver isn't.

I happen to have a...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras February 12th 08, 09:04 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 27
Posted By Mike Coon
Photographic bight shiny objects?

Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
Polarizers only work on non-metallic reflecting surfaces,
which silver isn't.

I happen to have a silver-plated trophy and a polariser to hand; it works
for me! Can...
Forum: Other Photographic Equipment January 23rd 08, 08:51 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Replies: 40
Posted By Mike Coon
Digital camera with GPS capability

John Blessing wrote:
Gps only knows your heading (and only whilst moving), not your
bearing. So what you want would require a built-in compass and
inclinometer and presumably some sort of...
Forum: Digital Photography January 23rd 08, 08:51 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Replies: 43

John Blessing wrote:
Gps only knows your heading (and only whilst moving), not your
bearing. So what you want would require a built-in compass and
inclinometer and presumably some sort of...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras January 12th 08, 12:56 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 19
Posted By Mike Coon
USB remote shutter release

Robert Coe wrote:
Some Blackberries (and I presume other PDAs) can charge their
Bluetooth headsets via a USB cable. If the headset were USB instead
of Bluetooth, the PDA would still be the USB...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras January 11th 08, 12:16 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 19
Posted By Mike Coon
USB remote shutter release

Robert Coe wrote:
You assume wrong. Lots of devices get their power through a USB
cable. A card reader is a common example with which we're all
familiar.

But surely that is always from host...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras January 10th 08, 12:08 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 19
Posted By Mike Coon
USB remote shutter release

Jürgen Exner wrote:
What I am looking for is a small handheld device that uses the USB
port instead of the proprietary ports for shutter release and maybe
even general camera control.
Even...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras December 22nd 07, 12:42 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 5
Posted By Mike Coon
Sound and other triggers

D.M. Procida wrote:
What kind of flash unit would be suggested? I have an old flash unit
from my Praktica, but it doesn't have an input for a trigger.

Daniele

But does it have a test button?...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras December 20th 07, 11:08 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 19
Posted By Mike Coon
OT - Digital Binoculars

RichA wrote:
On Dec 19, 2:47 pm, "Mike Coon" wrote:
RichA wrote:
They are all garbage. Toys for people who don't know any better.
If they already have a...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras December 19th 07, 08:47 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 19
Posted By Mike Coon
OT - Digital Binoculars

RichA wrote:
They are all garbage. Toys for people who don't know any better. If
they already have a decent digital camera, then get good pair of
binos.

Which is all very well, but by the...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras December 19th 07, 12:05 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 19
Posted By Mike Coon
OT - Digital Binoculars

Ali wrote:
It seems the digital part comes from the ability to take photos. If
your friend is quite into photography, I'm not sure that they would
want to take a photo using binoculars. Also,...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras December 6th 07, 08:10 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 3
Posted By Mike Coon
OT (kind of) Digital Frames

Yvon Travailler wrote:
which is
good because it uses quite a lot of power (as does any large LCD
screen).

????? Since when large LCD use lot of power ? My 19 inches LCD uses
only 35...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras December 5th 07, 09:08 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 3
Posted By Mike Coon
OT (kind of) Digital Frames

GS wrote:
I picked up my first digital frame the other day for my mom to take
back home when she was up visiting the grandkids, just a cheapo 7"
unit with 480 X 234 resolution and displays at...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras November 15th 07, 08:05 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 23
Posted By Mike Coon
British BBC4 series: The Genius of Photography

Mark B. wrote:
"RichA" wrote in message
Amazing. We get this outstanding stuff from the Brits and what do...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras November 12th 07, 11:42 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 6
Posted By Mike Coon
Lens advice

Tony Polson wrote:
For portraits of people older than 25, you may prefer the results you
get when using a soft focus filter such as a Zeiss Softar 1, which is
available in the B+W and Heliopan...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras November 4th 07, 11:29 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 7
Posted By Mike Coon
Comet Holmes

On 2007-11-03 17:59:08 -0700, RichA said:
... Even I might
have trouble with a bear. I might have an advantage in weight and
reach, but he has...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras October 19th 07, 11:11 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 11
Posted By Mike Coon
flea inside lens.

jean wrote:
Beat me to it. That's the scientific approach: first find out
*exactly* what you're dealing with. Better hurry though, especially
if it's a fruit fly.

Exactly, they have a...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras October 5th 07, 12:02 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 12
Posted By Mike Coon
The length of the focal length?

Richard J Kinch wrote:
What gives?

Two properties of a lens: effective focal length versus back focal
length.

Not the same thing.

Quite. My undergrad optics textbook (1st published...
Forum: Digital Photography September 30th 07, 10:21 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Replies: 48
Posted By Mike Coon
ceramic lens in digital cameras

Rob Morley wrote:
In article IuuLi.3113$Jk2.2199@trndny03, Marvin
says...
Irwin Peckinloomer wrote:

Glass is one of the most common ceramic materials. So all
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras August 30th 07, 07:26 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 4
Posted By Mike Coon
sailed to Spitsbergen - fresh images

T.Heslenfeld wrote:
Just returned from a spectacular sailing trip to Spitsbergen. Great
photo-conditions, with both snowfall, midnight's sun and high
pressure!
A small selection of the...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras August 19th 07, 10:20 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 7
Posted By Mike Coon
Shutter release help - Canon Digital Rebel

Jstein wrote:
On Aug 18, 7:14 am, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Jstein writes:
I cannot understand then why they have
used a 2.5 mm "stereo" type plug that has three...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras August 15th 07, 10:50 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 11
Posted By Mike Coon
Flash stuck in hot shoe

Brian Sullivan wrote:
I just purchased a Vivitar DF400MZ flash for my D50 and though it
seems to work fine I can't seem to unscrew the tightening screw to
get the flash off the camera.

I am...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras June 15th 07, 11:37 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 13
Posted By Mike Coon
Position of dust on sensor VS computer screen

Celcius wrote:
Hi everyone!
I cleaned the sensor on my Canon 30D. After downloading the photo, 2
bits still appear on the upper left corner of my computer screen.
Where is that dust located...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras June 11th 07, 07:45 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 91
Posted By Mike Coon
airplane travel and my brand new dslr

C J Campbell wrote:
The UK will not allow any electronic equipment in your carry-on, not
even an iPod. So you if fly out of there you have to check your
laptop.

That certainly was not the case...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 71